Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PARA 9mm

terrydoc

Posted (edited)

Hi guys just spit balling here but I have a .357 sig Para that I'd like to use as a 9mm, can I get a 9mm top end and run it on the .40 frame (9mm mags work ok in the frame)? Is there any reason thats not possible?  

Looking for cheapest easiet option, going to be a LO type division gun

Edited by terrydoc

make sure the ramp is correct on the barrel. but best bet would be to find a para brand top end from same generation so you dont end up with lock up , ramp and barel link fit issues.
1911's are not plastic fantastics and arnt gonna be plug and play mixomatics like you can get away with from other more recent guns all made by same people on same machines.. 1911's are made all over the world with various tooling . So dont be surprised if things dont fit at first.

• 1 month later...

I’ve got good news for you, Para ran the same size breach face on their 9mm and 40 S&W slides so all you really need is a new barrel. And yes you can swap the top ends between 9 and 40, the only possible issue would be the ejector. Paras are good guns, I ran one for years. I do miss the Canadian Paras. 

Ended up with a cheap 9m complete gun, the barrel in the .357 sig is a bull barrel so would have had to chase one of those , the 9mm was probably cheaper and the mags work also. So hopefully a good outcome once its milled.