Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MAXIM buffer hard to manipulate? Maybe not.

Grabbed one of these to try in my Davinci DG-9. The recoil reduction with even hot factory pistol ammo was impressive. 

My findings were similar to everyone in the original post… crazy hard to charge the gun. Making unloaded starts or malfunction clearance difficult. 

Playing around with a solution that’s looking promising. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5rV-pKrq8s/?igsh=MTBieXRoaWhqMGV6Mw==

Edited by Dirty_J

Grab a PRI Large handle gas buster and keep the stock seated on your shoulder while charging. Give it a fast tug. I added a delrin spacer on mine to reduce the stroke length on my PSA AR-V. I am actually looking to stiffen the recoil spring since it is throwing my brass pretty far with my suppressed loads. Hoping it keeps things closed longer for suppression. Large handled charging handles helps and keeping the gun braced for less give while charging helps a lot.

41 minutes ago, Joedirt199 said:

Grab a PRI Large handle gas buster and keep the stock seated on your shoulder while charging. Give it a fast tug. I added a delrin spacer on mine to reduce the stroke length on my PSA AR-V. I am actually looking to stiffen the recoil spring since it is throwing my brass pretty far with my suppressed loads. Hoping it keeps things closed longer for suppression. Large handled charging handles helps and keeping the gun braced for less give while charging helps a lot.

For recreational shooting… that’s all well and good.

My focus is competitive shooting; you don’t always have the luxury of a standing unloaded start and need to manipulate the charging handle without having it in your shoulder sometimes. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2024 at 10:13 AM, Joedirt199 said:

Where did you put the spacer? 

• 2 weeks later...

The Maxim worked okay at the Alabama State USPSA Championship. 😎 

I get the “very” occasional odd recoil impulse… almost like the lockup is a bit inconsistent… but no functional issues to report.

Two unloaded starts at this match. No problem. 

IMG_2663.thumb.jpeg.c90c283968c57d121eaf9c179c22f92f.jpeg

21 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

So whats the trick? ;)

The short answer: adjusting the pre-load. Been a busy few weeks… hoping to hit the range for a follow up video soon! 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

The short answer: adjusting the pre-load. Been a busy few weeks… hoping to hit the range for a follow up video soon! 

👍

still better performing than the 5020ss? even with preload adjustment?

Edited by mrvip27
3 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

👍

still better performing than the 5020ss? even with preload adjustment?

Better is a stretch. Comparable is probably more accurate.

Once you get it to a level where it’s relatively easy to charge the gun… you’ve traded off some of the recoil reduction.   

It’s “better” in its supplied form for recoil reduction… but the drawbacks outweigh the pros IMO.