Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters Global Go timer

shred

[copied and expanded from another thread, here's my quick review.  Anyone else have experience with it?]

TLDR: it works well enough as a timer, requires app.

I've had this one a couple weeks now and been using it for practice almost exclusively.  The size is conveniently small, the display large, it's only got two buttons and works as a timer pretty well, which is Job #1 in my book.

The size and display on the end make it handy to clip to your belt for practice and reviewing shots and splits is straightforward (it does them only reverse-order which I'd rather be switchable, but it's not a huge thing). It's nice the splits are displayed in a column offset half a space from the shot times so you can see where they go.  Because my belt is pretty full around front, and the sold-separately clip was OOS, I had to fab up a pocket clip for it versus the belt mount it comes with.  The included velcro quick-release belt mount works ok, if you've got a convenient belt space for it.

You need the app to change most of the settings and the timer could use a bit of maturity in spots (selectable order for splits, selectable delay times, pick something besides 'best split' as the additional data, and it makes loud beeps when it auto-poweroffs which can be disconcerting in the car on the way home, plus maybe a couple more minor nice-to-haves), but the app will push firmware updates to the timer if they are available.  The beep is adjustable and plenty loud enough at max volume.

The app also has a ton of social media features that I could care less about (OK, nearly-boomer).  You need to sign up an account.  Maybe if you're into that or spent more time with the Drills stuff you could get something cool out of it, but curmudgeonly-me doesn't care what Rodrigo T. or whoever just posted.  It looks like it might be able to be used as a mini-scoring app.  Being able to go back in the calendar and review my strings and round counts can be useful at times.  

Supposedly it can pick up the hammer fall in dry-fire mode although I found that spotty.  I didn't try airsoft.

It has bluetooth, and maybe someday Practiscore will support it.  It's already sending times and splits and all to the SG app.

It charges an internal battery off USB-C which is nice.  Battery life seems long.  I've not recharged it yet.   Most of the documentation is online, although there's a quickstart manual in the box.  You'll want to look through the documentation to see the difference between modes and so on.

It's supposed to be able to 'spy' on other timers and pick up the time from a shooter on a stage-- using the other timers beep as it's start, I'd guess.  I couldn't get that to work the few times I tried it, so I haven't tried overlaying times on videos yet which it can also do.  I think spy mode would be the most useful when videoing friends runs.

Yeah I have been looking at buying one for the spy feature but did not know if the  did the spy function.  I wrote and asked and they pointed me back to the website which was not helpful.  

@shred Let me ask the stupid question does the Shooters Global Go version have the spy function?

it has it... but I haven't been able to make it work the few times I messed with it-- it acts like it's doing it, but never triggers.

Just now, shred said:

it has it... but I haven't been able to make it work the few times I messed with it.

I was afraid you were going to say that.  I will add it to my items to purchase this year.   The spy feature is supposed to be really cool and nice option.  

Thank you for the response.

One of my friends has one and used it on me. I would rather get a different timer due to the amount of gimmicks on it. The app requires internet connect to make ANY changes which is very annoying if youre in a location with bad signal. The spy mode is some what wonky it requires the timer to be nearby and cant be facing away viceversa with the mic.

I’ve used the spy mode and time overlay. The app sometimes disconnects from the timer, and you have to open it again well before you get back on deck to shoot because it would need to reconnect to the timer otherwise it will use the phone’s microphone to record shot times. It’s very accurate and starts the time when the RO’s timer beeps.

8 minutes ago, shred said:

That's weird.. I make setting changes with no internet connection.

i think you have to login first before you can make any changes. So if the app crashes then it forces you to sign in

46 minutes ago, akarhi said:

i think you have to login first before you can make any changes. So if the app crashes then it forces you to sign in

Mine just seems to keep trucking along offline or not.  I'd rather not go through that account rigmarole though since it seems somewhere between pointless and intrusive.

Yeah, if it was just a timer and a simple no-login app to set settings and record shots, that would probably increase sales tremendously.

Its detailed time displaying splits on video is one cool feature in studying drills and stage runs. What it lacks is usefull operating manual for all its features. And there are features that are not relevant to most shooters. I just ignore them but it adds to cumbersomeness of its operation. 

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased all the timers in the 150 dollars price range from Amazon and tested them. The shooter's global GO was the best of the bunch, so I returned the rest and kept the GO.

The belt clip definitely helps at the range.

3 hours ago, dannyd said:

I purchased all the timers in the 150 dollars price range from Amazon and tested them. The shooter's global GO was the best of the bunch, so I returned the rest and kept the GO.

The belt clip definitely helps at the range.

Better than the pact?

I have grown to like the Go. I have things I know I want to work on, so I have saved presets for them. I no longer need my phone to use the timer. Pact II isn't as easy to use at this point for me. Competition is confusing as well from my perspective.

2 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Better than the pact?

For dry fire definitely, but at the range the only advantage is the Go records your practice. The PACT is a good timer, way to load for the house.

430D3744-8002-4C2A-852B-EC86E98EFCBB.thumb.jpeg.c1ba820cdc4a816e2657813461560da3.jpeg