Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 brass and moons combo

3 hours ago, testosterone said:

Yes.

I have 3, one of them will close but will not turn with .040 clips as well. 

I have the tool to fix it but cant be bothered and honestly dont fully appreciate what other problem it might make, so that gun just runs .035's.

What is involved to fix that problem? I have a 625-2 .45acp that I just bought for ICORE.

I cannot close the cylinder with TK Moon clips .40.

But they work fine in my 625-JM

Calling TK soon, IDK if he will need the whole gun or just the cylinder

26 minutes ago, DukeSoprano said:

What is involved to fix that problem? I have a 625-2 .45acp that I just bought for ICORE.

I cannot close the cylinder with TK Moon clips .40.

But they work fine in my 625-JM

Calling TK soon, IDK if he will need the whole gun or just the cylinder

Buy .035 moon clips?

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 9:29 PM, DukeSoprano said:

What is involved to fix that problem?

the problem with revolvers is every time you change a tolerance, you change another tolerance somewhere else.

to increase the headspace you use one of these...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007131416?pid=762245

this will  shorten the yoke and consequently increase headspace.

Nn the other side of that equation though, the cylinder gap will decrease when the gun is loaded which is a much harder thing to adjust and more tools if it happens to work out that way...

if its close(and it probably is), you will probably be fine and not have a gap issue, if you send me your address and promise to send it back i will send you the tool...

Edited by testosterone

4 hours ago, testosterone said:

the problem with revolvers is every time you change a tolerance, you change another tolerance somewhere else.

to increase the headspace you use one of these...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007131416?pid=762245

this will  shorten the yoke and consequently increase headspace.

Nn the other side of that equation though, the cylinder gap will decrease when the gun is loaded which is a much harder thing to adjust and more tools if it happens to work out that way...

if its close(and it probably is), you will probably be fine and not have a gap issue, if you send me your address and promise to send it back i will send you the tool...

While that will technically increase head space or clearance it will also add endshake and is not the way to properly fix this problem. Only way to to increase this is machining cylinder or removing  some material from the recoil shield.

Here is a tip: S&W firing pin bushing has a domed shape to it and the dome is taller than the recoil shield. These vary from .002 to .005+ high so if your gun is tight with certain combos of moonclips and brass you can file the bushing flush with the recoil shield and add some clearance. I have done this dozens of times on customers that want to use .040 clips in a 929.

• 2 months later...

Bring this back to life, since registration is now open and I said I would update.

Registration is now up on PractiScore for the WRC Mother Road Revolver Challenge in Kingman, AZ. on November 15-16.

1 hour ago, babue said:

Bring this back to life, since registration is now open and I said I would update.

Registration is now up on PractiScore for the WRC Mother Road Revolver Challenge in Kingman, AZ. on November 15-16.

I can't find it. What should I search on? Or do you have a link?