Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

327 barrel on a 627

I would assume this would work? Trying to figure out a way to get a lighter barrel on this guy, Really dont want to spend $1500 Plus all the usual upgrades to go lighter.  

thanks 

Squirrel 

I checked with Mike early this year he was working on some 617s barrels, with 627s possible in the future. Seems like this might be more trouble than its worth.  

Depending on what barrel length you are looking for you can look on ebay for revolver barrels and there are a lot of 4inch and 6 inch and some 6 1/2 even an 8 inch What you would be looking for are what used to be called pencil barrels, they are considerably lighter than the full lug or slab sided barrels any of the 586/686 with the full lug would be to heavy  in my opinion. So a barrel for under $150 plus the switch out and resetting the barrel I would think you could have it done for under 7/800 or less if you have a friend in the machine shop that knows what they are doing. I have a friend that has done this on two different guns for me and they  work well for me. It may cost you more if you have OCD and have to have everything  match perfectly, but I can live with two toned/ pinto looking guns.LOL

Frankingun Two.jpg

IMG_1073.JPG

I believe there is an alignment tab on the 327 barrel shroud that mates to the frame so a swap

between a 327 an 627 might be an issue.

The 327 barrel shroud is steel and still weights a bit, but it's 5 inch length swings okay (imo).

I like the idea of the shrouded barrel, Dan Wesson did/does it and Nowlin used to offer the same

for S&W revo's, though in steel only I think.

The pencil barrel idea is the least costly, the lathe work, clocking the barrel and setting the

cylinder gap requires some tools and expertise.

Mark Chapman's suggestion is one of the lowest cost options available, you can find New old stock barrels at Numrich gun parts, then you need access to a mill to increase the clearance on the ejector shroud. and possible a lathe to fit the barrel plus throating reamers and a gauge. 

if you get too carried away you might come up with something like this

UD1.jpg