Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing From Large To Small Primers On An Rf100

With the wife's new press and us shooting more than ever. We are thinking of buying the RF100. But her 650 is .40 and my 550 is .45. So I am unsure of the workflow if we were both loading. I like the idea of the RF100 loading a tube while you are running the press. But then we would have to "switch" set ups for the next batch. If the conversion from small to large primers is difficult I think the midway gizmo would probably be our best bet.

Thanks,

Ira

PS. Happy new year!

With the wife's new press and us shooting more than ever. We are thinking of buying the RF100. But her 650 is .40 and my 550 is .45. So I am unsure of the workflow if we were both loading. I like the idea of the RF100 loading a tube while you are running the press. But then we would have to "switch" set ups for the next batch. If the conversion from small to large primers is difficult I think the midway gizmo would probably be our best bet.

Thanks,

Ira

PS. Happy new year!

Changing from the small to the large primer takes 5 minutes. But if you have to do this often than it is a pain in the neck. After using my RF100 for a year i bought a second one. One for the large, and one for the small with extra filling tubes. It makes live a lot easier.

... After using my RF100 for a year i bought a second one. One for the large, and one for the small with extra filling tubes. It makes live a lot easier.

That is what I was thinking... I don't think we can afford 2 at this time, so it sounds like the midway gizmo would better suit our needs.

Thanks for the response.

Ira

Why not just buy 4 or 5 more of the pick up tubes in both sizes. you could load 5 tubes of large and she could then load 5 of small. only one change

MVZ

I did not think the pick up tubes would work with the filler? Right now we have about 8 "regular" tubes (each) which are full when we start loading. But we still have to fill them by hand.

Ira

Edited by iweiny

What you can do is fil the regular pickup tubes with the RF100 tube. I think that it is possible when you make a small adapter between the two tubes, put the RF100 tube on top of the regular tube, remove the spring en drop the primers in the regular tube.

IMHO, the main benefit of using an RF1000 is that the primer tube is filled while you are working - you finish one tube and the next is ready for use. You are doing two things at once and are therefore more efficient. But it's worth remembering that most folks can hand fill 4 or 5 tubes in five minutes, so taking that time for a primer size changeover on an RF is a loss if your reloading sessions are shorter than 400 rounds, a wash for 400-500 rounds, and a gain for longer sessions.

You can't really both load ammo at the same time with only one RF unless one person stocks up on prefilled tubes first, and that limits that person to whatever # of tubes you have available and also negates the benefit of filling your tubes as you reload. If one of you has started to load using the RF, the other can't join in because the RF is in use already and is committed to that size primer.

Having two VibraPrimes (or whatever they are called now) will let you both fill your tubes whenever you want, and a bit faster than by hand, but being a hand held device you can't fill tubes as you reload. Prefilling tubes will be faster, but it's still not as good as filling tube A while using tube B.

So I think you're right that, for you both to reload at the same time with the greatest efficiency, you'll need two primer fillers of some sort. RF100's for the greatest effect (though at a high cost). VibraPrimes with less expense and some efficiency but with more downtime from ammo loading to actually use them. Extra tubes, enough for an extended, side by side reloading session by both of you, will help if you get only one RF or one or two Vibraprimes.

FWIW,

Kevin

+1 on what Kevin said. The RF100 shines because it only has one primer tube and it refills it while you're busy using the previous tube full.

Using a RF it to fill primer tubes for later loading would probably be counter-productive, unless you really don't like shaking the primers all one way up before using a Vibra-prime, or you really want to be doing something else during the two minutes the RF uses to load a tube.

IMHO, the main benefit of using an RF1000 is that the primer tube is filled while you are working - you finish one tube and the next is ready for use. You are doing two things at once and are therefore more efficient. But it's worth remembering that most folks can hand fill 4 or 5 tubes in five minutes, so taking that time for a primer size changeover on an RF is a loss if your reloading sessions are shorter than 400 rounds, a wash for 400-500 rounds, and a gain for longer sessions.

You can't really both load ammo at the same time with only one RF unless one person stocks up on prefilled tubes first, and that limits that person to whatever # of tubes you have available and also negates the benefit of filling your tubes as you reload. If one of you has started to load using the RF, the other can't join in because the RF is in use already and is committed to that size primer.

Having two VibraPrimes (or whatever they are called now) will let you both fill your tubes whenever you want, and a bit faster than by hand, but being a hand held device you can't fill tubes as you reload. Prefilling tubes will be faster, but it's still not as good as filling tube A while using tube B.

So I think you're right that, for you both to reload at the same time with the greatest efficiency, you'll need two primer fillers of some sort. RF100's for the greatest effect (though at a high cost). VibraPrimes with less expense and some efficiency but with more downtime from ammo loading to actually use them. Extra tubes, enough for an extended, side by side reloading session by both of you, will help if you get only one RF or one or two Vibraprimes.

FWIW,

Kevin

+1... well, now I guess it's +2

be

Jeez, plus 1'd by both shred and benos in the same thread.

I should go buy a lottery ticket, or better yet, shoot a match this weekend, or even better, shoot a classifier match! I'm sure to come out number one.

(Larry Bassham mantra now modified: Darn, I'm good - even Benos and Shred say so...)

:D