Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a Better Quality, Brighter replacement fiberoptic rod or are they all the same?

I just noticed during my annual safe cleaning sessions that one of my 1911 pistols is missing it's fiberoptic front sight rod.

I can't recall which brand/make/model of front sight it is.

I've got to figure out what diameter rod it houses

and

I was wondering whether all replacement fiberoptic rods are of the same quality or are there perhaps preferred makers?

I would very much appreciate your help and guidance. Thank you

Most are either .040” or .060”. Most Dawson sights are .040 and the ones on Springfields are .060”. True Glo and Dawson are good and bright and I know you can order a long piece from Dawson and just cut to fit. Theirs takes a fair amount of heat to melt so it may be better if you’re having problems with the muzzle blast melting them. You could use the end of a drill bit to measure the hole. 

Edited by Farmer

1 hour ago, wanttolearn said:

good to know, thank you.

a neighbor thinks he might have some smaller drill bits so perhaps tonight i shall know the size i need. it looks like a pretty thin caliber

Typical front sight is either 1mm or 1.5mm. 

If you post a picture, I’ll bet we could guess. 

Allen keys can also be used to measure instead of drill bits. 

Edited by -JCN-

Yes, there are different sorts of "fiber" on the market, from injection-molded rods of orange or green transparent plastic to actual fluorescent fiber optic (if you crush a bit, it turns into smaller strands).  IME the harder it is to melt the more likely it is to be true fiber.

2 hours ago, wanttolearn said:

Shred, interesting....i will try to read the descriptions prior to purchase, hopefully they will differentiate accordingly.

JCN,, thank you but i think i've narrowed it down to 1 mm

1mm is most common, I usually drill out to 1.5 to get more light.