Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACE XR VR Dry Fire Training Legit or Just a Game

16 hours ago, SaspDad said:

Has anyone found using ACE improved actual live competition shooting?  I hear a lot of positive feedback but not a lot of actual results (yet).

Yes. When I started using ace I was a c shooter. I’ve thrown up master class runs recently. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2024 at 9:56 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I think some of the 3D printable options are better then the one they just released. A buddy of mine scanned his LO gun then drew it all up in cad and redesigned the trigger parts and put all the files up for free for anyone to download and print. You'll still need the "FCU" to go into the gun and make it complete. 

But, you need a printer or you'll have to find someone you can pay to print it for you. 

Where can these files be found? Got a URL? 

• 5 weeks later...

I picked it up this week finally and the X5-style controller arrived today so the next few nights leading up to a match Sunday I'll be playing this constantly.

It's a lot of fun and it's helped me realized full out speed isn't always best, I'm finding the dot better and engaging targets with a better cadence (also getting out of my pcc brain). Using the regular quest controller is tough because you don't index the same every time so I'm looking forward to the change with the actual controller.

I did find a store on Etsy that makes mods to simulate the GG flat trigger and the Align takedown lever which will be a nice touch.

The only thing I need to do is figure out how to add 20 oz to it since my X5 weighs about 53 oz loaded, I've seen people mention the lead putty and such so I need to see what the internals are like to fill it in.

1 hour ago, mellino19 said:

I picked it up this week finally and the X5-style controller arrived today so the next few nights leading up to a match Sunday I'll be playing this constantly.

It's a lot of fun and it's helped me realized full out speed isn't always best, I'm finding the dot better and engaging targets with a better cadence (also getting out of my pcc brain). Using the regular quest controller is tough because you don't index the same every time so I'm looking forward to the change with the actual controller.

I did find a store on Etsy that makes mods to simulate the GG flat trigger and the Align takedown lever which will be a nice touch.

The only thing I need to do is figure out how to add 20 oz to it since my X5 weighs about 53 oz loaded, I've seen people mention the lead putty and such so I need to see what the internals are like to fill it in.

You could add a WML to get it closer, and I added some wheel weights to the bottom of my grip to get a few more oz. I was shooting for getting close to my unloaded weight. I think I'm currently a little light but it seems fine. 

I'm also using a 3D printed 2011 for the controller. 

15 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

You could add a WML to get it closer, and I added some wheel weights to the bottom of my grip to get a few more oz. I was shooting for getting close to my unloaded weight. I think I'm currently a little light but it seems fine. 

I'm also using a 3D printed 2011 for the controller. 

Funny you mention that, I thought about grabbing some wheel weights from work and putting them somewhere inside.

In all honesty after getting home last night and getting my hands on the control, the weight is fairly deceiving. Yes it's about 1 lb lighter than my X5 but it still feels good and I think I'm going to just leave it. A friend brought up a good point about fatigue when using it but you could also argue the weight will help as you use it more and more.

Anyone using this with a quest 2? I got the ace controller for q3 and it has a quest 2 option as well. Realizing now I can buy either I was thinking of going quest2 to try it at a lower cost.

I realize the ring part is a factor but does it really stick out that much more if at all compared to a racker?
I dont have any VR currently and am looking to get it for google earth, Ace and maybe a game or two.

Unless Ace has an AR function that lets me use my own range seems like a q2 is enough/ok?

3 hours ago, Fimrire_RongLifle said:

Anyone using this with a quest 2? I got the ace controller for q3 and it has a quest 2 option as well. Realizing now I can buy either I was thinking of going quest2 to try it at a lower cost.

I realize the ring part is a factor but does it really stick out that much more if at all compared to a racker?
I dont have any VR currently and am looking to get it for google earth, Ace and maybe a game or two.

Unless Ace has an AR function that lets me use my own range seems like a q2 is enough/ok?

I'm running it on the q2, it's fine. I think the 3 is probably a little better performance wise and sounds like it'll work better if you try to use it outside. But the 2 is working fine and was half the money. 

13 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

What he said. I upgraded to an 3 and the difference is minimal 

Do you get frame rate lag on your 2? My quest 2 seems to have bad heat sink issues and overheats causing lag pretty quickly

22 hours ago, 42ATK said:

Do you get frame rate lag on your 2? My quest 2 seems to have bad heat sink issues and overheats causing lag pretty quickly

I would every so often. But I wouldn’t get into long sessions. Ten minutes twenty tops so that helped I think

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2024 at 5:25 PM, SaspDad said:

Has anyone found using ACE improved actual live competition shooting?  I hear a lot of positive feedback but not a lot of actual results (yet).

It's really hard to point to results and say definitively that ACE or anyone one thing is what got you the gains. That said, this year has been crazy for me, between work and a second kid and trying to start up a side hustle. To the point I've done almost zero live fire practice this year and virtually zero dryfire. But, I have been using Ace at night when the family goes to bed. Prior to this year, I was a dryfire twice a day, range time once a week plus matches kind of shooter and had been for years. That got me to GM.

This year with really not doing any of my normal training and just using Ace I've really had pretty comparable match performances. If I had the time to mix this with some traditional dryfire and regular live fire like I did a few years ago I think it would really shine.

On 6/28/2024 at 6:09 PM, -JCN- said:

And how it is better compared to say someone dry firing with a red dot. 

The thing that jump out me personally is it's showing you where your hits are. For example I know if my shooting I occasionally pull off targets it's a thing I know I do, especially if I push the pace. Typically I don't see it happen because my eye's leave the target early so my brain thinks it saw a shot. In normal dry fire I think this is really hard to diagnosis and fix.  In Ace if I pull off a target I end up with a mike and it shows me where so it's really obvious. Stages with movement are really good if you have the room to do them. And if you're someone who finds normal dryfire boring this might be the motivation you need. 

But, clearly many people including myself have gotten pretty far in this sport with out VR and it can still be done the old fashion way. But I think there is a place for this system so I'll continue to use it and may even upgrade from the quest 2 to the 3 in the near future.

Side note, if anyone decides they're going to try it here's a link with a discount

https://platform.acexr.com/checkout?via=mike

@Racinready300ex

F1 teams use simulators for training so technology definitely has a place. 

I think like you’re doing, judicious use is a good supplement. I think some people don’t know what they don’t know however and spend time doing things that are better done dry (or in the backyard). 

Agree pull off at speed is a hard one to get fidelity in dry. The question is whether the latency of this particular tech has enough fidelity to be useful at higher levels of subtle pull off.