Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 9 major loading necessary for CZ Czechmate

NeverForget

I recently purchased a Czechmate, planning to use it for Outlaw matches and steel challenge eventually. 

My question is, I'd obviously like it to shoot as flat as possible, but I don't need to make major power factor for SC or Outlaw matches. Do I need to load it up near major to get the benefit of the 4 port comp or can I stay well below 165PF and stay flat? I'm planning to work up loads with WAC and HS-6 trying both 95s and 115s, I'll give 124s a shot as well.

I've loaded for single port comps, but never a real comp. While I do see a benefit with single ports, I didnt find any recoil reduction trying to work the comp harder. My Staccato XC runs almost dead flat with 4.0 grains of WAC and 115s, only 109PF but is 100% reliable. 

When I had my Czechmate it ran best up around 174PF.  I did have 2 poppels in the barrel.  

I would imagine if you want to go lower with it you'll probably need to change springs.  Probably get down around 7-8lbs for a recoil spring.

57 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

When I had my Czechmate it ran best up around 174PF.  I did have 2 poppels in the barrel.  

I would imagine if you want to go lower with it you'll probably need to change springs.  Probably get down around 7-8lbs for a recoil spring.

I was looking at spring tuning sets. I've seen videos on youtube of guys running it with the comped barrel and factory loaded 115s and it cycled just fine surprisingly. Although it didn't look like it was shooting as flat as it could.  I dont mind loading it to major if necessary.

Thanks for the info.

Several competitive shooters I know shoot the CZ Czechmate in open division with 9mm minor ammo, incl. a 9 lbs recoil spring. The gun works fine. The comp is not really effective due to the minor load and limited gas creation thereof. In addition, if you shoot IPSC or USPSA, you get less points for C's and D's in minor vs. 9mm major, which puts you in a competitive disadvantage.

Edited by StefVanHauwe
Add on content

The slower the powder used, the higher the minor PF has to be.  I would use Autocomp, not the HS-6.  About 145~150 PF will shoot pretty flat.

That is exactly what I was doing for quite a while.  Then I was running low on primers and wanted to save them for major.  I shot most of the season with 115 factory @ 1145 fps.  The muzzle rise was a tad more than with the 145 PF load.  It doesn't matter for steel challenge.  It might if double taps are required at your outlaw matches.

I now shoot 124 gr at 132 PF using Sport Pistol.  I have two 3/16" poppels in my barrel.  That load shoots softer and much quieter than the 145 WAC load.  All I do is change recoil springs when I switch back and forth.  Same POI.

On 2/13/2024 at 5:57 PM, zzt said:

The slower the powder used, the higher the minor PF has to be.  I would use Autocomp, not the HS-6.  About 145~150 PF will shoot pretty flat.

That is exactly what I was doing for quite a while.  Then I was running low on primers and wanted to save them for major.  I shot most of the season with 115 factory @ 1145 fps.  The muzzle rise was a tad more than with the 145 PF load.  It doesn't matter for steel challenge.  It might if double taps are required at your outlaw matches.

I now shoot 124 gr at 132 PF using Sport Pistol.  I have two 3/16" poppels in my barrel.  That load shoots softer and much quieter than the 145 WAC load.  All I do is change recoil springs when I switch back and forth.  Same POI.

Thanks for the info. I took it out for the first time today set up with the comped barrel. I ran both powders from a low charge to high until I passed 1500fps. I hit 1538 with HS6 and didn't see any pressure signs, Wac flattened and cratered primers at 1526 (7.2 Grains), 6.9 was 1500fpa and they looked fine. I'm loading my 115s to 1.120, I have not had my barrel throated to load longer, hoping I wont need to for my purpose.

I ordered a spring tuning kit, 14# down to 10#, didn't see anything lower but didn't look that hard either, I'll start there. What pound spring did you swap too for your 124s at 132PF?

The accuracy of this gun is amazing.

13 hours ago, NeverForget said:

What pound spring did you swap too for your 124s at 132PF?

I'm now shooting a 2011 Open gun.  10 lb. for major, 6v for minor.  

My experience with a CM was the loads you are using hit my hand hard.  The dot danced with HS-6.  It was fine with WAC.  Use the WAC for 145-150 PF minor loads.  It will run fine, shoot flat and burn clean.  For major, 115s are going to hit your hand harder, unless you put poppels in.  Your softest major load with the standard comp is going to be a 124 JHP under AA7.  It will feel like cheating.

If you're loading specifically for flat-sub-minor, use the lightest bullet you can get away with (90 or 100gr) and a lot of slow powder.  Maybe even slower than is normally used for Major loads. 

Old-school steel shooters used to do that when they used stop plates to stop the time.