Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Secret Life of Magazines

Patrick Sweeney

I working on the latest book, on Glocks, I've been hearing rumors of Glock mags giving up the ghost.    True?  If so, how long does it take, and what happens?  In eight years of running my G-22, my mags are all fine.  Even after the drop testing (and some kicking) when I tried the mag extensions.

Any experience in getting Glock to repair/replace them?  (I've heard some inside info, but want unbiased responses before giving you the skinny.)

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 10:00 am on Aug. 5, 2002)

The only ones that have failed me were a couple early NDF .40 mags. THe ones with the liner that is, or appears too, rust. Feed lips don't have the guts or have spread open causing rounds to feed improperly.

Haven't bothered to send them to Smyrna.........yet.

Patrick,

I've got some early hi-caps that don't feed because they were left loaded for *years* and the feed lips appear to have sagged.  The later mags appear to be rock solid.  I thought about sending them to Glock, but haven't for fear of getting 10 rounders in return.

It's times like this I wish I lived in Europe.  Just to deep six the suckers and buy new ones for $20 a whack.  Sigh....

E

My brother was one of the first to buy a G17 about 7 years ago, of course, lots of people laugh at him ...

We ran about 50000 rds (at least !) through it and the only part I changed was the extractor and couple of springs.

The mags are the same since the beginning, they always worked, even when we put them full of dirt, in the water or kept them fully loaded for days and days .

My G35 always worked the same with +10% wolff mag springs.

My G26 runs very well too .

OTH i've heard of at least three G17 slides which broke at the ejection port, but thy were heavy heavy heavy duty models, two of them shoot about 300 rds/day,

6 days a week.

DVC

Julien

:)

After a few years every weekend a steelshoot and minimum 2 training sesions a week none of my 17 rounds mag.  of my Glock 34 gave any trouble at all.

Seems the newer mags have had lesser attention while manufactured. Some mags for my Glock 35 couldn't even be used properly from the beginning  because the feedlips were not within specs and got one with a broken (!) folower.

Fortunately i can get them for 15 euro = 15 dollar a piece.

Greetings

Adrie

I've had some problems where the plastic is startiing to seperate from the metal liner up near the feed lips.  It hasn't started to cause any problems yet but I keep a real close eye on them.  Unfortunately I live in the peoples republic of Kalifornia and am unable to replace them.  I too am afraid that if I send them back to Glock I will on ly get 10 rndrs in return.  When that day comes limited-10 will be looking mighty good.

Patrick,

I have yet to run into any problems with the original Glock mags (nor have I seen any issues at our Glock friendly club).

Most important (IMO) is the issue of the Scherer replacement mag tubes.  The first thought on glocktalk is that they might notbe 100%.  Any glock book worth it's salt, ought to include info on the tubes.  And, those Scherer tubes are new enough that you might be able to suggest improvements...if needed.

Scherer sent me some tubes to try, and I will wring them out.

I have it from a reliable source that if you ship mags back Glock won't heist your hi-caps.  If they have replacement tubes on hand they'll replace them, but only if they're on hand.  Don't call, write or fax to ask if they have them, as they won't tell you.

If you send hi-caps back and get 10-shot tubes in return, someone else stole them, not Glock.