Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAN WESSON DWX COMPACT FOR CCP?

TheGoatMumbler

Has anyone considered a Dan Wesson DWX Compact for CCP? Looks like it would  be a heck of a candidate for that class. Lots of Glock 19's there  and some Shadow 2 compacts are starting to trickle in. I've been shooting my CZ P01 Omega and it's better than the shooter. Love to have the Bull Armory Tac Pro 4.25 but it won't fit in the box. 😢

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DWX Compact I am now starting to shoot for CCP.  I have a CZ P01 shadow line that I was going to use for CCP. But the DWX compact changed my mind. I’ve never held a shadow 2 compact but I’d love to try one someday. 

The DWX compact is a very nice shooting pistol, better than the PO1 for me at least, comes back to baseline very quickly, and in fact, no harder to control than my shadow, which has always seemed to oscillate more at the end of a shot compared to this DWX pistol. Maybe it was the increased mass, my less than strong man, grip, etc.

I’m struggling with finding is a good load that isn’t too over minimum power factor for CCP (105) that is accurate with good SD and ES.  I can make 105 easily enough but finding a published that achieves good chamber pressure seal with resultant stable accuracy, and SD, without blow by, is the challenge.  Love to hear anyone’s success on this.

C

On 2/1/2024 at 9:31 PM, Clint007 said:

I’m struggling with finding is a good load that isn’t too over minimum power factor for CCP (105) that is accurate with good SD and ES.  I can make 105 easily enough but finding a published that achieves good chamber pressure seal with resultant stable accuracy, and SD, without blow by, is the challenge.  Love to hear anyone’s success on this.

C

Just a thought as I've not attempted to deal with 105 PF but I'd be inclined to use the softest brass I could find.

It seems that FC and Blazer are the softest in my experience. Stay away from S&B and CBC.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:31 PM, Clint007 said:

I have a DWX Compact I am now starting to shoot for CCP.  I have a CZ P01 shadow line that I was going to use for CCP. But the DWX compact changed my mind. I’ve never held a shadow 2 compact but I’d love to try one someday. 

The DWX compact is a very nice shooting pistol, better than the PO1 for me at least, comes back to baseline very quickly, and in fact, no harder to control than my shadow, which has always seemed to oscillate more at the end of a shot compared to this DWX pistol. Maybe it was the increased mass, my less than strong man, grip, etc.

C

I had to get to about 114pf to get a good accurate load that was consistent. 124gr FMJ and 3.6gr Sport Pistol out of a glock 19. 

Thank you.

I’m now carefully trying a very fast powder, N310, with comfort established by some Vhit published data using 100-124gr bullets. 108PF is in the range of the published velocities for these and the fast speed should achieve full burn and hopefully stable velo and accuracy. Testing starts this weekend. 

I waved off N310 years ago because of it’s fast speed. Makes it a very delicate powder to reload with but I’ve had much more experience since then. And happily there are some published loads showing good outcomes. Fair number of bull’s-eye people use this and also for soft  plinking loads. 

C