Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have Gun, Will Travel

A.N.C.O

Well thats only partly true, I have a gun, but I need another one. Thats where you guys come in. I have never shot a match before, that's because I can't find one around my area. However, I am planning on attending:

http://sanjuanrange.com/ahwsc.htm

I need some direction in what caliber and pistol works well. Also, what class do most beginners, uhh, begin in?

I'm not sure what matches are in your area but I can help answer your second question.

You want to know what gun and caliber you need... Well what's wrong with the gun you already have? Many people that want to shoot competitively go out and buy the latest and greatest gun when they don't need to. Why not just use the gun you have and shoot a few matches and watch what the top guys are shooting. Talk with them for advice and see if it fits your budget. Most people will prob. tell you to buy a 1911 of some sort either single or double stack or a Glock. I say shoot what you have.

Pete

Pete's advice is good - if you have a gun which is suitable for one of the divisions. If you have a center fire handgun of at least 9mm caliber, all you need is a belt mounted holster which covers the trigger guard, some belt mount magazine carriers and a few spare magazines (5 magazines is enough to get you through any match).

You can ask all the opinions you want, however, nothing beats going to matches, seeing what's being used, talking to people, watching guns in action and some friendly interaction at the safe table if you ask someone to show you their gun. If you buy a gun based on the advise from someone else you are sure to end up with an excellent suggestion - for that person :).

If your current collection consists of a .22 target pistol and a .380PPK/s, you're going to need a gun for the matches. I would suggest you get one of the "Classics" which is not excessively expensive, and which you expect you would enjoy even if you subsequently get a specialized gun for another division. Three that come to mind are Glock 9mm (production); Glock .40S&W (limited/limited 10); 1911 (Limited 10 or Single Stack). There are other valid quality choices as well.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

Where are you loacated????? Maybe someone can give you some info for your area.

Flyin40

Eastern South Dakota, I did find a shooting club, but their website isn't available anymore so I am not sure who to contact.

I'm not sure you have tried the USPSA website. Look here

Find Matches

Once on the web page just put in your state or zipcode. I see that Brandon SD has a club. Look here for club

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Btw, for the specific match you linked to, the STI/American Handgunner Shootoffs, anything 9mm and up will work fine. You'll probably be happier with a bunch of rounds in the magazine and a good trigger. As a beginner, you'd shoot the AHWSC in 'D' class, from what I remember. Hopefully the stuff I and others posted on the match is still around here somewhere.

Absolutely it'll help. What exactly is that class, and will I be competing with people in my range? Or will I fail semi-misserably? I have the gun, XD9, now I need some tried and proven holsters and mag holders. BTW, anyone else planning on attending the San Juan shoot-off?

Yes, your XD will be just fine. If you are going to the AHandgunner here are some things that I found useful.

Shoot the Winchester Challenge. Yes it is $90 bucks, but getting to shoot the stages before the match and get over the unfamiliarity is priceless, plus if you do well you get $cash!

Take twice as much ammo as you think you will need, Period......but dont take the cheapest WW II peruivan laquered ball ammo you can find....it will bite you at the match. The match is hot, dirty, and rough on guns. Find stuff that works in your gun and shoot a 1000 rounds through the gun without cleaning it. If the gun runs then you have a winner. If not, get some help and figure out why cuz if you dont you are going to be aggravated at the match when your equipment doesnt work.(P.S. get yourself a boresnake....)

XD mags are cheap. I would take at least 6-8. That way you have loaded ones to replace the ones that might have hit the ground. If they hit the ground they get cleaned.

To have maximum fun at the match you need good sights, a good trigger, and probably a back up gun. Sights I would look at www.dawsonprecision.com or www.canyon-creek.com.

Rich at Canyon Creek is also the man for trigger jobs as well. (My backup will be my 5in 9mm XD from Rich...)

I use a Bladetech holster for mine, but there are a slew of good holsters out there, check out www.pistol-gear.com for lots of XD stuff. If you want a pure speed holster for it I think Rescomp makes one for the XD as well.

Hotel rooms book up fast, get on it soon.

Plate racks are at 33ft, if I remember correctly. Remember some of the targets are really small, so I would practice drawing and marksmanship at 50ft targets, that way the plates will look bigger and easier! ;)

Good luck and hope to see you there, DougC

Great. Thanks for the advise and tips. I have to get busy rounding up all my new gear so when the snow melts, I'm off to the range. I found some mags at 44mag.com for $17.99 apiece, a holster for about $52, and I am contacting welders to see about getting a few steel plates for a plate rack. Also, I am looking for bulk ammo, but this seems to be a never-ending search. I find one, then find another, but it's only 115grain instead of 124, then this guy says his is much better quality, and that guy only has HP. Anyone have a good source for reasonable ammo at a decent price? Say 1000rnds of 9mm.

Sam thanks for the invite, I forsee a lot of roadtrips this summer so I will definatley have to make it out your way.

www.44mag.com is a Great place to finds good mags at cheap prices. I remember when the Federal AWB ended ..... I ordered 10 used "Hi-cap" Glock mags for some unbelievable price like $150.00 Sounds like alot now, but we used to pay that much for 1 or 2 hi-caps back in old Billy's days! Also look into www.CDNNinvestments.com for good prices on mags.

For bulk ammo try atlantaarmsandammo.com. Thats the ammo Dave Sevigny uses to win 10 or more major matches each year. Good stuff but not too expensive. He shoots 147gr. 9mm ammo, and if I recall it runs somewhere around $130/1000 shipped. There are other such sources for bulk ammo. Just give us a few days and I'm sure others will reply with good sources.

By the way ........... Welcome to the Forum! B)

Thanks, I'll look into it. Also I had another question about a "back-up gun" Does it have to be the same make/model/caliber? I was thinking of getting a CZ75 in .40S&W anyway, could I use that as a backup, or since I start the match with 9mm, would I have to finish the match with 9mm?

Thanks for the welcome Glock24

Also, how much can be changed on a "stock" pistol before it is not considered production anymore. I am guessing sights and triggers are legal since a few have suggested altercations. Where do we run into a problem though? Barrels? Grips? I wouldn't mind modifications at all, but where do I stop?

Also, how much can be changed on a "stock" pistol before it is not considered production anymore. I am guessing sights and triggers are legal since a few have suggested altercations. Where do we run into a problem though? Barrels? Grips? I wouldn't mind modifications at all, but where do I stop?

The best reference is Appendix US D9 in the

rulebook.