Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 longevity

konkapot

Not 100% sure where to ask this; mods feel free to move 

There are a lot of orphaned Limited guns out there. I've got a lot of .40 ammo from back in the day. 

Any thoughts on how long a slide mounted dot would last on a .40 2011? Lots of my ammo is major, so that's a concern as well. 

Assuming a properly mounted slide mounted dot, would there be durability problems in a major pf gun?

lot of variables there that would probably make a big difference. Slide weight, springs, buffers, firing pin stop,,  I mean I had a venom on a 6" 45acp shooting over 200 pf at pin matches that is still alive and well on a 22 SC gun  now. Guess someone would have to measure slide velocity on various platforms to see if it makes much of a difference.. Another thread on a 10mm, where the sight was surviving, but the mounting screws werent

A slide mounted dot will have a reduced life regardless of what caliber you shoot. Slide velocity is what does the most damage vs actual caliber. Dots also have warranties so run it like a rental until the dot breaks then swap it out. Rinse & Repeat

im not convinced that the g forces are significantly higher for 40 major than 9, assuming sensible recoil springs. it looks and feels like 40 minor moves the slide noticeably slower than 9, and with less muzzle flip.

my wife wants to go to open nats tho, so instead of buying another open gun and practicing with it, ill probably just shoot 40 major that month.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:00 AM, konkapot said:

Any thoughts on how long a slide mounted dot would last on a .40 2011? Lots of my ammo is major, so that's a concern as well. 

Seems like the velocity of the empty brass might be a reasonable guide? Shooting 40 major I think I could make the brass fling pretty hard or just sort of roll out of the gun by changing recoil springs.