Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 - 9mm Conversion?

Abinadi

I am trying to decide between a Glock 34 or 35.  This will be my first Glock and I have seen where people have converted their 35 to 9mm.   If it is safe and can be done, what do I need to do to get it working properly?  I like the 9mm for just all round plinking.  I currently have a Sig 229 in .40 that I like and would just want to get the 35 to have another .40 option.  If this can't be done right or without a lot of work, I'll just go for the 34.  The only concern I have there is the single locking pin on the 34 frame (as opposed to two pins on the 35) just forward and below the slide release.  Is this a bogus concern?  Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are talking about plinking and competiton, then it is pretty much just a barrel swap.  You will want to use 9mm mags...and likely swap the ejector and maybe the extractor (super cheap and super easy).

I'd go for the G35.

You actually don't need a new ejector. I have a 9mm barrel for my 35. So far,1,000+ rds, there have been no problems. Some people have reported feed problems, but I suspect those issues are more related to the tighter chambers associated with most aftermarket barrels. I reamed out the chamber of my barrel to open it up a little.

My Federal barrel has performed well. Accuracy is at least equal to the stock barrel.

In IDPA if you change the caliber of your gun you can't compete is any division.  All divisions state "replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration."  ie. the G35 must compete with a 40 S&W barrel.

IDPA rule book effective 5-2-01

I'll let the USPSA experts address this conversion in their discipline.

(Edited by the duck of death at 10:16 am on Aug. 25, 2002)

Do you reload? If so, you can download the 35 to make a lower power factor for stock classes and plinking.CPTY1 and Singlestack have a nice thread on this froum if you go back. If you do convert, I have been told, altohough this MAY BE WRONG, that the 9mm and .40 Glock mags are the same size, all you have to do is swap the followers to change calibers.

i know that the feed lips are not the same, but they still work. i put my glock 17 top end on my 24 frame all the time then use either the 40 mags or the 9mm mags with 9mm the 40 mags seem to want to bind up when i load more than 10 rounds or so. i've been meaning to to change followers to see if i can load the all the way up to the max.

As far as leal issues with USPSA, Sedro Wooley said it was OK (3 months ago, anyway) to use an aftermarket 9mm barrel in a G-22 in production class. They (Amidon I think) said that although you are replacing a major part, you are not changing the function of the gun at all, and there is not a significant difference in a 22 and a 17. IE, you have gained no advantage in this swap. It couldn't hurt to call or e-mail Sedro Wooley, though. Things may have changed by now.

Razz,

That seems right, the way I have read the rules for Production.  Oddly enough, I think it would be illegal in Limited though.  (Can't change caliber for Limited)

I had a few emails going back and forth with Amidon trying to get this figured out for Limited...changing a G20(10mm) to a 40 with a barrel swap.  (they both shoot a .400 caliber bullet).  It has been posted here that it is legal (and I think it is).  On another board, it was posted that it wasn't legal. (again, in Limited division)