Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Could this be normal wear? I don't have the knowledge to assess.

jt1207

I'm considering buying this gun. I would like input on if the markings I circled are outside of normal wear or not. I'm told the gun has 1300 rounds through it. The 356TSW caliber is approximately similar to 9 major. The gun is a S&W 3566.

Thank you--Iliana

image.thumb.png.cbc0d660eb8a7c73754560cd7c6ae735.png

Edited by jt1207

7 hours ago, perttime said:

Why do you want to buy it?

Seems to me that it would be a curiosity or collectors item.

Cannot tell from the photo if it is dirty or if there are really gouges in the metal.

I want to buy it because of a combination of the gun's looks, my curiosity in wanting to shoot it, and it is a specific type of gun that I like outside of uspsa/steel--the S&W 3rd generation autos.

Also, thank you for the input on whether it's normal wear or not. I can't tell either.

3 minutes ago, shred said:

Have you tried to find .356 TSW ammo?  I'm guessing it's thin on the ground so you won't be shooting it a lot unless you have a reloading setup for that caliber (maybe some common dies work, IDK)

I've found a company that makes it (Underwood), it is expensive though. I've been searching and calling to see if I could get a 9mm barrel fit to it and haven't had luck yet. 

I have a question--the 356TSW is a 9x21.5mm round. Winchester (and several others) commercially make 9x21 ammo that is much more reasonably priced. Hypothetically, do you think there would be a safety issue in shooting 9x21 out of a 9x21.5 barrel? 

I don't see a safety issue.

There might or might not be a reliability issue. Pistol rounds are supposed to headspace on the case mouth. The difference in case length is small but, depending on the extractor, the case might move when the firing pin is striking the primer. Also, .356TSW is designed for more power than 9x19 or 9x21. The recoil spring could be too much for the "lesser" rounds.

Have you seen this article from 2021?

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2021/3/10/356-tsw-a-comeback-kid/

21 minutes ago, perttime said:

I don't see a safety issue.

There might or might not be a reliability issue. Pistol rounds are supposed to headspace on the case mouth. The difference in case length is small but, depending on the extractor, the case might move when the firing pin is striking the primer. Also, .356TSW is designed for more power than 9x19 or 9x21. The recoil spring could be too much for the "lesser" rounds.

Have you seen this article from 2021?

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2021/3/10/356-tsw-a-comeback-kid/

Thank you. That info is quite helpful. I just read that article this morning and that's what got me thinking about 9x21.

Wikipedia says the .356 TSW is a straight wall case.  If so it's going to be a problem trying to stuff a 9x19-based tapered case in there.

Edit: the wiki is wrong.  It's a tapered case like 9x19 according to SAAMI

Using 9x21 is going to give you an extra .020" headspace which isn't great.

Looks like Starline sells brass though.  Anyone got dies?

11 hours ago, Farmer said:

Can you pull the bbl out and see if it’s from the locking lugs or slide are rubbing on the bbl causing the marks?

It's a gun I'm considering buying and I can not see it in person. I messaged the seller and am waiting to hear back.