Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 LO 9mm....4.6" or 5"

RGC

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, RangerTrace said:

They are a cheater IDPA CO gun, but a true open gun, they are not.

I think you need to bring that XC to the next match.  Just saying ....

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

You hear a lot about full size 2011 in 9mm “feeling slow. 

I've noticed this myself with my 2011's. It makes sense, commander size guns have a shorter stroke, I think .100" not a lot, plus the slide is lighter so it's moving faster. Mine was a 4", I sprung it with 19 hammer and like a 10-11 recoil and at the time shot lighter bullets. Previous to this most of my 2011 shooting was 40 major in 5" guns. 

Going to a 5" 9mm gun with 147 gr bullets it felt sluggish to the point I didn't like it. Now for sure the gun is cycling and still waiting on me no matter how fast I pull the trigger. You could maybe make the case that if the gun is waiting on my longer I might perceive that as the gun being flatter even if it's not really. I doubt our brain really knows what's going on in that .05-.06 seconds the gun cycles. 

I'm sure if you just shoot the thing a bunch it'll become your new normal and you wont notice it anymore. I chose to try to speed the gun up to change how it felt. So I added a aluminum shock buff to shorten the stroke a little and dropped down to a 17 hammer and 8 recoil spring. Much less noticeable now. 

But neither is making me shoot the gun faster or better. It's completely subjective of what feeling I like.