Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battering on CK Arms 1911?

Whistler

I recently aquired a very nice CK Arms 1911.

It has some wear and battering I am a bit concerned with.

What would you guys reckon is the cause? Is a new slide required or can I deburr the peened edges?

The numbers on the photos correspond to show the same fault from different angles.

The forum did not allow me to post original resolution, these are downscaled to 25% resolution.

Thanks in advance.

1. 01.jpg

1. 02.jpg

1. 03.jpg

2. 01.jpg

2. 02.jpg

3. 01.jpg

3. 02.jpg

Edited by Whistler
Spelling

3 hours ago, Whistler said:

I recently aquired a very nice CK Arms 1911.  Is a new slide required or can I deburr the peened edges?

I will only address the slide's peened slide stop notch.  The cause could be a soft slide, a poorly machined notch, or a poorly fit slide stop tab.  You would need to engage the services of a 'smith with a hardness tester to determine if the slide is soft. 

If the notch is the problem, a good machinist could correct it however you could do a credible job using an appropriate file.

Usually peening of the notch is a result of a slide stop tab that was not correctly fit to the notch.  The images below show the difference between a poorly fit tab and a correctly fir tab.  One thing the bottom image doesn't show is that left edge of the tab's rear engagement surface should be  slightly relieved so that it doesn't contact the notch.  This will prevent the tab from peening the outer edge of the notch.

6oT8b2s.jpg

Thank you for the replies thus far.

I noticed some play between the barrel and the slide.

I can put a .009 feeler gauge between rear of barrel hood and breachface.

The picture show the barrel pushed forward until it stops.

I reckon this is the cause for the wear on the lugs.
Can it be fixed or is the only solution to fit a new barrel?

396957200_10161444513214579_6825441536808113043_n.jpg

Edited by Whistler

I adjusted the bottom lugs and the slide stop pin now has clearance.

This is what the parts looked like after 40 hand cycles, fully assembled with recoil spring inserted.

Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

Edited by Whistler