Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light loads in my G19?

ysrracer

I'd like to set up my Gen 3 G19 to shoot lighter loads.

Other than a lighter recoil spring are there any other springs I need to change.

I shoot mostly revo's and rimfire, but this is for my wife.

Thanks

Get a 15# recoil spring on a stainless guide rod and 4.5# striker spring. After that some 147gr coated bullets and pick a powder that works (lots of options). 3 ish grains of titegroup is a good starting point. 

9 minutes ago, floater said:

Get a 15# recoil spring on a stainless guide rod and 4.5# striker spring. After that some 147gr coated bullets and pick a powder that works (lots of options). 3 ish grains of titegroup is a good starting point. 

Thanks, I'll probably use Win 231 or Sport Pistol. I've got a bunch of both.

I like sport pistol, cleaner that 231, can't remember my 147 load, but for 125 Gallant coated 3.9-4.0 grains should be close. I'm now loading for gen 5s so I load way shorter then the gen 3 will take. My load currently is 4.2 grains sport pistol @ 1.100", mixed range pick up brass and a CCI 500. At my home range works to run 137 Power factor in a gen 5 17 and 132 power factor in a gen 5 19. 

48 minutes ago, floater said:

I like sport pistol, cleaner that 231, can't remember my 147 load, but for 125 Gallant coated 3.9-4.0 grains should be close. I'm now loading for gen 5s so I load way shorter then the gen 3 will take. My load currently is 4.2 grains sport pistol @ 1.100", mixed range pick up brass and a CCI 500. At my home range works to run 137 Power factor in a gen 5 17 and 132 power factor in a gen 5 19. 

Thanks, I'm probably going for a 125 power factor at most. I'll load a few and chrono them. 

46 minutes ago, Nile said:

Barnes 115-grain Vor-TX.  Light recoil, feeds well, does well in gel tests.  Next would be 115-grain Gold Dot or Winchester 115-grain, white box or Silvertip.  I'd stay away from standard-pressure Federal 9BP because it can have issues clogging in heavy clothing.

Couldn't care less about any of that. My wife wants to punch holes in paper, but thanks.

Depending on her ability to grip the gun and the aggressiveness of her stance, you may be pleasantly surprised at the range of ammo that the G19 will cycle.  It just might go low enough that you don't need to modify the gun to make it work.

I've had customers run my Steel Challenge ammo with no issues in factory guns (108 PF).

3 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

Depending on her ability to grip the gun and the aggressiveness of her stance, you may be pleasantly surprised at the range of ammo that the G19 will cycle.  It just might go low enough that you don't need to modify the gun to make it work.

I've had customers run my Steel Challenge ammo with no issues in factory guns (108 PF).

I loaded up some 125gr match winner bullets with 2.8gr of Clays, and they wouldn't cycle.

4 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

That should be spooky-light, but would feel good if you could get it to run.

It's well under the Starting Load data that I have from Hodgdon (3.5 Clays @ 1010 fps).

I run 2.8gr of Clays with a Blue Bullets 147 in my 9mm revo, and it comes in at a 125 power factor. Figured I'd try the same load with a 125gr bullet.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Abominator said:

I shoot 3.3 grains of Sport Pistol with 147grn Blue bullets 1.145-.150 OAL. Nice soft shooters. My wife like them too, standard ammo has too much "kick" for her.

I went with 3.15 grains of Sport Pistol powder with an RMR 124gr Match Winner bullet at 1.090 OAL.

15 minutes ago, jpm2953 said:

I’ve been playing with a load for ccp with my Gen 5 G19. 
124gr FMJ 3.4ft sport pistol 1.115 is 110pf and really soft. Ejects and locks back 

13lb recoil and 4.5 striker. 

Yep, pretty close to my load. 3.15gr Sport Pistol with a 124gr bullet, 1.090 OAL.

13lb recoil and 4.5 striker

• 2 months later...

just following up on this. I had to bump by load up to 3.6gr. The gun was functioning and cycling the 3.4gr load fine but I was getting some super inconsistent burns. Probably had 20% that were really low. Like 400fps.. 

I bumped up to 3.6gr and have gone through 4-500 round with zero issues. Same brick of primers, same bottle of powder...