Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling

konkapot

Short notice change to open. No real time to work up a legit load, so I purchase some factory 38SC from a well known company in this community. 

Ammo makes 170pf; not optimal, but workable. Gun feels great. 

However....at 25 yds I can do fist sized bill drills all day long, but some of the bullet holes in the new target are not quite circular. Not flaming tumble holes that are twice the size of the round, but definitely not clean holes. Out of a 12 shot "group" 3-4 of them are 150% bigger than they should be. 

Comp looks fine; no signs of bullet strikes but will check further today. 

Cause? Concern?

56 minutes ago, konkapot said:

Short notice change to open. No real time to work up a legit load, so I purchase some factory 38SC from a well known company in this community. 

Ammo makes 170pf; not optimal, but workable. Gun feels great. 

However....at 25 yds I can do fist sized bill drills all day long, but some of the bullet holes in the new target are not quite circular. Not flaming tumble holes that are twice the size of the round, but definitely not clean holes. Out of a 12 shot "group" 3-4 of them are 150% bigger than they should be. 

Comp looks fine; no signs of bullet strikes but will check further today. 

Cause? Concern?

If the groups are good, I wouldn't worry. Those bigger holes might even get you a liner or two😜

What bullet weight? What kind of ogive? 

I was using some flat point coated 147's in my shadow 1 and would get occasional tumbling. Turns out, the bullet was not balanced...too much weight near the back of the bullet....but, they could also be hitting the comp.

17 hours ago, konkapot said:

Shred a little research shows that might not be something I should try myself. Any suggestions on who might be able/willing to do that? 

John-

Pretty simple with an EGW reamer unless you have an SVI or Nowlin barrel (they have a smaller inside diameter).

9mm/38 Alignment Reamer (egwguns.com) 

Ideally in a lathe.   But you can chuck it in a tap handle or drill.  Put the barrel/comp in a vice, oil the reamer, the long end is the pilot and goes in the barrel.   Turn slowly with the tap handle or drill.  The cutters on the short end will cut the baffles in the comp to align with the barrel.  Stop turning as soon as it cuts through the last baffle.  Cutting/tap fluid on the cutters helps, but you can cut it without it.

You can also talk to EGW before you order.