Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help: Open Gun accuracy issues.

SufferInSilence

14 hours ago, sc68cal said:

I don't think the barrel is shot out if you're getting a decent group at 15 yards with the Speer ammo. Check your crimp on your reloads.

Yeah but even with that gold dot it’s not a good group.  Just a better than the worst. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**Anyone recognize this logo/brand?** 
I’m trying to track down a replacement for this cone barrel.  It’s measuring about 4.75 (4 3/4”) from what I can tell.  
Just don’t know who made or still sticks them.  

Going test my 38SC barrel tomorrow to see if maybe my 9mm barrel is just shot out.  

I can say though, the 38SC barrel is much tighter in the slide when I assemble the gun and grab the comp and shake/twist it, there’s little to no play.  

There’s play in the 9mm barrel when doing this.  
51BEF9AE-C335-472E-B9DE-9B8F6ABE53C7.thumb.jpeg.788ed7ca6dc3610500c7e386ad3c4615.jpeg9A6AF721-9075-47C7-B987-4D2B65A062F0.thumb.jpeg.751ec829bce0cb988345bce6d1306e9e.jpeg

DB0ADA72-3697-44AE-8359-A36347D5DCC7.jpeg

Nobody makes cone comp barrels as-such anymore to my knowledge- they're made from regular (or turned-down bull) barrels lathe-threaded and cut off to match the cone comp.  Sure looks like how that one was made, so if you want a new barrel, get a new barrel with the same or larger OD, thread for cone, cut off and crown muzzle as needed and screw on cone.  Green sleeve retainer loctite usually glues it all together so if you want that old cone off for re-use and to measure the old threads, heat the cone with a propane torch while wrenching on it hot.   Use a padded wrench or vise if you want to reuse the comp.  

This kind of thing was pretty standard open gun gunsmithing back in the day so there should be somebody around that does it if you don't want to bust out with a lathe.

For a switch-barrel gun you might need to turn a skosh off the cone end of the comp to get it timed right with the slide muzzle end.

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*
-Soaked the comp in 50-50 peroxide/vinegar. 
-Scraped “everything” out. 
-9mm reamed the bore of the comp.  
This tightened up the terrible left/right spread but with each shot, the group climbed up.  This happened “every time” and was worse the hotter the barrel got.  

Threw in the 38SC barrel to rule out any frame, slide, mount, dot issues.  38SC ran fine so, it seems the 9mm barrel is just clapped out.  

808B3A63-96D0-4F9D-9C20-0A587A80BC5A.jpeg

E47384B0-55DA-4B4B-9F3B-B2C3FB7AE157.jpeg

Edited by SufferInSilence