Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Flex Holster and N-Frame S&W Revolver 929 Double Alpha Academy Fitting

SPINGE

Is anyone running the DAA Flex with the N-Frame? I'm particularly interested in 929 or equivalent barrel length N-Frame. I need some advice on the fitting, I've read the instructions and watched Saul's setup video multiple times but can't get an acceptable fit. Any tips or tricks are appreciated.

Thanks!

-SPINGE

I got a nice fitment where the locking block would come to rest at the disengaged position when the revo was drawn but the muzzle support rod is too short. With a fitment that will allow use of the muzzle support rod, the fit has been rather poor and the locking block will snap back into the engaged position once the revo is drawn.

....Little did I know that they offer an extended rod for revolver...ordered and may have solved my problem. 

I got the Flex because the holster I was originally going to use was out of stock...then I realized I needed the muzzle support....then I realized I needed the revo adapter plate...now I realize I need the extended rod...what a fiasco 😅🤣

Hopefully it works once and for all once this part arrives!

Thanks for the input.

-SPINGE

If you call DAA they can usually take you through the steps to get the right fitment. Josh L. called me the last time I ordered to offer some help on a step to save me the grief. Very helpful!

I shot them an e-mail but I'm in a holding pattern until the extended rod comes and I get a chance to play with it. I had a fitment that I was ready to take to a match but the muzzle support rod was too short. Then 7 minutes after starting this thread I realize in my ignorance I was completely unaware about the extended rod...which they say is good for revo...

Should be here soon, I hope it all works out!!

-SPINGE

12 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Don't have the flex, but have a racer x and I had to whittle on the locking block where it fits the trigger guard to make it work with my 627's.  Yet it worked fine with my 625.

Ditto:

I don't like shaving or sanding stuff and this upset me because it was advertised to fit.  That's when I found that most likely no two N Frames have the same size trigger guards.

I got the Racer X after I bought a Ghost and honestly, the Ghost remains the better choice because it has nylon set screws that you can tighten or loosen to fit the frame.  I put a long AA Academy extended barrel support rod on it and it works great.

That said, I also have a Hogue race holster and nothing so far has come close.  Warren makes a barrel support rod for them and that would probably be the heat for that type of holster.

GG

I've been using my Hogue Power Speed holster with Revo adapter for many years. I like it because it's totally secure when locked, lightning fast to draw from, and fits all my revos from 4" to 8-3/8". It takes a few seconds to adjust from any one to any other one.

27 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

I've been using my Hogue Power Speed holster with Revo adapter for many years. I like it because it's totally secure when locked, lightning fast to draw from, and fits all my revos from 4" to 8-3/8". It takes a few seconds to adjust from any one to any other one.

Warren do you have any pictures or a link to your adapter? 

33 minutes ago, MWP said:

Michael, we have a thread on our dealer forum with pictures of the holster with different guns. All of Protocall Design's products are in that forum. You'll have to go to RevUp Action's website for hammers, though.

(Info also in sig V)

Edited by Toolguy

32 minutes ago, MWP said:

yes please.

I have a power speed that pat made for one of my other guns, but its an exact fit for only that one, I'd very much like something that I could put on there that was adjustable.

I have a racerx and find it impossible to get right, if the gun does not come out exactly perfectly straight it drags and it is very distracting.

I think it will be good once the extended rod comes, I got a fit I really liked but the standard rod was too short.

To the guys running the Hogue Powerspeed, you're using this in run and gun sports? A buddy of mine who has shot for years and is damn good says its a bit large. It is actually his revo holster of choice for Steel Challenge, but SC exclusively, he runs something else for USPSA. Having made GM in a couple of divisions, I tend to listen to much of his advice. Input? Thoughts?

Kind Regards

-SPINGE

I don't shoot USPSA, so I don't know about that application. I find it pretty minimal. It is never in the way for anything I shoot.

There are a couple of guys one here that are pretty good, maybe they can chime in. If it's longer than you need, you can cut the downframe off to any length you want.

2 hours ago, SPINGE said:

I think it will be good once the extended rod comes, I got a fit I really liked but the standard rod was too short.

To the guys running the Hogue Powerspeed, you're using this in run and gun sports? A buddy of mine who has shot for years and is damn good says its a bit large. It is actually his revo holster of choice for Steel Challenge, but SC exclusively, he runs something else for USPSA. Having made GM in a couple of divisions, I tend to listen to much of his advice. Input? Thoughts?

Kind Regards

-SPINGE

It’s the fastest holster on the market I think. It’s large compared to something like a DAA, but that only comes into play if you’re going through small openings or tight spots. The most common issue with the Powerspeed is that it only fits one barrel length at a time. If you’re a person who only has 1 length, or use Warrens adapters it sounds like that’s not a problem though. 

I never used one, but have seen a few semi-auto's in USPSA.  They are less secure, if not locked, if you have to move, jump or run before you draw, think table start or even inside a car, then it is prone to allowing the gun to dislodge.

I worried my DAA Racer x would have similar issues without the extension.  In reality you don't gain enough time to counter security in USPSA or ICORE.  SC is a different animal.