Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mighty Armory dies

Squirrel45

Thinking about the 750 depriming issue below got me searching around. Looks like Mighty Armory decapping/ sizing dies use a spring loaded pin. Have any of you guys had any experience with them in 9? 

Thanks 

I had bad experience with Mighty Armory sizing and decapping die in .40. This was years ago. The die had some serious marks on the inside and it would scratch the brass. Quite visibly. 

But from what I know and have heard, it should be a good company/small shop and my experience is likely an outlier. My guess is that QC has long since been fixed. 

I use their shorty universal decamping die and highly recommend it. You can use small diameter, .057” inch pins and have no problem with the Norma small flash hole brass in 9mm that gives everyone fits.

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/decapping-dies/products/copy-of-mighty-armory-shorty-bull-decapping-die-in-stock

I have their 9mm die as well as a bunch of others and they work great for me. The decap pins seem to be much stronger than the dillons. I have only had 1 pin break on 223 that had a rock in it. dillns broke on me more frequently and shaft bent once or twice.

I had 1 bad body that for some reason failed to thread into the toolhead. He replaced it promptly and I'm pressing on.

I got the FW Arms Standard decapper a couple of years ago for $69.  It's worked out just fine for me on my RL1100.  I don't have any info on the Mighty Armory dies other than one of our local shooters uses and likes them.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:55 PM, anachronism said:

My MA decapper solved a lot of problems for me. I'm damn impressed that you managed to break one. How'd it happen?

I can break most anything but it was a Norma small flash hole case. I bought the MA with small pins, first try pin snapped. Just went back to the Lee universal decap die and punched out a couple thousand no problem. As I said the MA dies are pretty.

I like their universal decapping die.  I have there sizing die in 9, 40 and 45 but in 9 the die doesn't size down enough to have enough tension on some brass.  When case wall was less than 0.01" thick the bullet would fall all the way down in the case.  When talking with Wayne he said that the external dimensions of the brass were correct after sizing and that it was working as expected.  My RCBS die would work with brass that had the thinner walls without issue so I quit using the MA dies.