Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in a 38 Super Revolver

revolver45

Folks have opened up the extractor star area to allow 9mm brass to be used in the 627 38 Supers, I've done it to mine without having to ream the cylinder out.

I believe this works best with new brass and rolled sized brass, any reloads that don't get their cases sized down to the groove may prove to be a problem.

If you shoot a steady diet of 9mm in your 38 Super you will most likely develop a carbon ring and fouling that will cause some issues if you go back to using 38 super brass, a good cleaning should help that.

Folks I'm sure will chime in and say "just use 38 Short Colt brass and be done with it", but if your looking to use new 9mm factory ammo in your 38 Super some mods will have probably have to be made, small ones that won't affect the gun in any way I know of.

And, all this is related to the 38 Super S&W revo's, I don't have any experience with others.

1 hour ago, Distant Thunder said:

Didn't Rob use 9mm in his 627-4? 

Yep. Relieved a little material on his extractor. Factory Winchester 115 for practice and heavy bullet reloads for nationals- something in the 147-158 range and titegroup. 

Whether it’s super, shorts or 9mm, it seems any of the 3 with a heavy bullet/ fast powder are favored.