Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Tanfoglio Large Frame Mags 9mm/38 for Carry Optics I bought some!

Okay I purchased 4 MBX Tanfoglio Large Frame 9mm 140 magazines and none of them will feed properly. The round hits the ramp and pops up and the slide traps the round against the barrel. I am super frustrated. No help from MBX. Does any one use these mags for carry optics and if so how do you get them to work? running a RN bullet profile. 

11 hours ago, bobbyblaze said:

Okay I purchased 4 MBX Tanfoglio Large Frame 9mm 140 magazines and none of them will feed properly. The round hits the ramp and pops up and the slide traps the round against the barrel.

They don’t work well out of the box in Tanfoglios. I have two of them and it took some “tuning “ to get them to work. 

The main issue is the Mbx mags really are for a Caspian firearm. 

Basically a rod or dowel in each of the mag grooves and the squeeze together in a vise. Here’s a video which demonstrates the process. 

I ran into the same issue at carry optics nats. Got some MBX mags for my Tanfo. They initially tested okay. But then did not work on the first stage I used them on. 

Upon further testing, two failure modes observed.

One was the same as described in the first post with a weak mag spring likely the culprit as the mag was not presenting the round with the correct timing for the slide. The slide would then jam up the round as it came forward.

The second was two rounds wedged side by side midway or a little further down in the mag body. This seems like a tolerance/dimension issue with the mag body lower down, different that what we've typically seen with just the mag lips à la 2011 magazines.

On the other hand, stock/mec-gar mag bodies, henning extended basepads, and the new mbx 24 "UM" followers allowed for 24+1. Seemed to be reloadable, although I did not try reloading into a full mag.

You could load 24 into a magazine by hand if you wanted to, and there was still some space for that 24th round to depress.

They worked flawlessly for 14 out of 15 stages that I used them on. On my last stage, maybe 7 rounds into the magazine, a round got caught vertically between the mag body and the follower, preventing the follower from presenting any more rounds and turning it into a salt shaker. Not sure how that happened or how to fix that one. Maybe extending the ribs as mentioned above.

Extending the ribs is the only long-term fix for more than 20 in a stock Tanfo 9mm tube.

Side-by-sides in the MBX is the same thing-- tube is too wide in that area and rounds won't roll.  The weak spring thing seems quite common in them too.