Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip machining on speedloader guns?

matteekay

Hey spinnygun folks!

I've been slowly setting up a K-Frame to try SSR/speedloaders in IDPA (and maybe Classic in ICORE if I suffer a traumatic brain injury or something). I'm at the point where I'm going to get the charge holes chamfered so I'm kicking around if I should get the gun cut for moons, too, in case I ever want to use it in L6.

I know it shouldn't make any difference (hypothetically) but is there any downside when using a moonclip-cut cylinder with speedloaders? Any sort of interference/clearance I'm not thinking of?

4 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Subscribing as I was considering the same. Though, I do use my 66 in ICORE classic so I must have had some sort of traumatic brain injury that I am not aware of…

Well you wouldn't remember it. OBVIOUSLY.

Not sure there would be any problem. I have a 686 cut for moons that still works fine with loose ammo. 

In fact I think that I remember that my 686 Plus that is cut for moons will still shoot loose ammo too.

Wonder if there would be any rule against it, not that I can see why there would be.

6 hours ago, mchapman said:

Matt, I had TK cut the cylinder on my 686 for moons years ago and it still works just fine with the comp3's or with the moons.

Perfect, thank you. It's not much more to do the moon cut so I figured I'd do it even if I'm not shooting ICORE any time soon; I just didn't want any detrimental affect on loading from speed loaders.