Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conefit and factory guide rod questions

DenC

Hello everyone!

After reading a thread here in the forums, it seems like getting a conefit guiderod is the way to go.

That being said, is it something really necessary for a small frame 9mm Tanfo? (I have a small frame Stock 1 9mm for competition)

Looking at these 3 guide rods, aside from weight differences, will all do an equally good job in saving my gun's frame? Or is one better than the others?

https://patriotdefense.com/patriot-defense-lightweight-guide-rod/
https://patriotdefense.com/xtreme-guide-rod/
https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1284179&CAT=9249

And are these 'three IPSC Production legal? (Im guessing the Xtreme guide rod is)

Currently I am using the factory guide rod that came with my gun and at 1,000 rounds this is what it looks like:

image.png.8c5219623f37c18a690924522d10825b.png

Sorry for the poor picture. The best way I would describe it is the edges/sides of the guide rod seem to be peeling.

Is this normal or is something going on?

Looking forward to all your replies and thank you in advance.

The Xtreme and Henning guiderods are ipsc legal for sure. 

Even for 9, the guiderod replacement is recommended. IIRC, Henning did the original development on an improved guiderod, the Xtreme more or less copies his design, and the PD is a relatively recent entry. 

Of the 7-8 small frame tanfos I've run over the years, I replaced all the stock guide rods with the hennings.

8 hours ago, DenC said:

That being said, is it something really necessary for a small frame 9mm Tanfo? (I have a small frame Stock 1 9mm for competition)

Will it make the gun shoot better? No, but it might make the frame and slide last longer.

The whole idea came around to protect the gun from the extra wear associated with practice and competition shooting. Most competitive shooters will live fire 20 - 50K of ammo a year and the widen end helps spread out the pressure of the slide against the frame and hopefully make the two last longer.  They all should work equally as well. However, if wear is your sole motivation the softer metal of the aluminum rod may be better.

I don't know if Henning still sells it, but he used to stock a brass buffer for Tanfoglios. 

Thank you very much for all you replies.

Yes seems like I am indeed getting one, if only for insurance to protect my frame.

Looks like I will be getting the Extreme guide rod. Its is the only one readily available in my country and its on sale right now.

Just a couple more questions just to be sure I am getting the right one.

Is the guide rod the same for both small frame and large frame models? Or is there a specific guide rod for the small frame vs the large frame? (I understand that there are 2 guide rod lengths, short and long- the short for the Stock 1 and 2, the long one for Stock 3 and the like)

And will the Extreme Guide rod (or the PD or Henning) work with the factory recoil spring?

Thank you very much again.

4 hours ago, DenC said:

And will the Extreme Guide rod (or the PD or Henning) work with the factory recoil spring?

I'm not at home to check, however the answer to SF and LF is yes the lengths are the same depending on the barrel length. They will work in either model and you could even run a long rod in a short barrel (it will look dumb sticking out of the dust cover though).

Yes your factory recoil springs will work with after market rod.

The only real function of the rod (besides protecting the frame on modified ones) is to keep the recoil spring in place. Old 1911s and some other guns only use a very short rod to keep the spring in place.

The point is your recoil spring and barrel lock up fit are the keys to how the gun functions during recoil.

Edited by HesedTech

Thank you very much all for everything you have shared.

Looking at getting the Extreme Guide rod for my small frame Stock 1 this week.

Gonna to get another for a small frame Stock 3 I'm thinking about getting down the road. 

One or even two Tanfos don't seem to be enough for some reason.... 😅

• 5 months later...

The big issue with the stock guiderod is that it doesn't have a sharp edge to catch the tiny cutout they make in the frame, so it just rounds off that tiny ledge on the cutout over time. The cone fit puts the pressure over a bigger surface, ironically just like the Hunter guide rod does.