Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foolish decision

Makicjf

I've been shooting optic Revo for the last few months.  I met my goal to close the the ICORE South regional to really practice irons.

Now that the metals about to hit the meat, I'm an iota away from changing my registration from Open to L6.  I'm shooting L6 at the IRC, so I may as well just dive in, right?

I mean I have one range day and an evening and morning of dry fire to remember how to aim without a dot...

Oh, and I'll be shooting a GP 100 instead of my usual 625.

Perfect plan!

I just can't get excited about shooting a dot, I think I'll just shoot L6 and take my whoopin'.

Foolish, right?

Jason

I wouldn't say foolish, 

most (all?) of us are doing this for fun, shooting a division you want to is more fun than shooting one you don't. 

end of the day nobody is getting rich because they finished a place or two higher than they would have otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I wouldn't say foolish, 

most (all?) of us are doing this for fun, shooting a division you want to is more fun than shooting one you don't. 

end of the day nobody is getting rich because they finished a place or two higher than they would have otherwise. 

That's exactly what I thought!  I so look forward to the few Revo matches a year, I may as well do what I really like!

Jason

19 hours ago, Makicjf said:

That's exactly what I thought!  I so look forward to the few Revo matches a year, I may as well do what I really like!

Jason

Jason:

Depends on how you will view the entire event after you compete.

Can almost guarantee you that if you haven't trained with irons and that particular revolver, you will suck and after sucking for a while, the enjoyment will probably disappear.

May be better this time to 'suck it up' and shoot the dot because you will probably do a lot better and will leave the match with a sense of satisfaction.  The lesson learned for next time will be to shoot the sights and revolver you want and train for it.

GG

On 6/8/2023 at 9:10 AM, Makicjf said:

Foolish, right?

i think you shoot to the level you are.

changing the equipment is 5-10% or there abouts, the less familiar mechanic of the reload, getting the same grip, some nuance of the way the trigger pulls.

what will happen is, at the end of the match, you will have 4-7 things that "happened", glitches bobbles, etc...that would not have happened had you shot something you were more familiar with. 

8 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Why not shoot the 625 that you feel semi comfortable with?

That's what I decided to do.  It's an old friend!

I found I find the differences in trigger feel and length of travel  between the 625 and GP 100to be very distracting.

I had hoped to consolidate all my loading to 38 Short Colt, but in order to accomplish that, I'll need to pick up a 686.

Jason

Despite struggling with intermittent target focus with irons mediocre accuracy, the match turned out pretty well.

It was well run, enjoyable and challenging.  I'm looking forward to next year.

...with full prep on the platform I'm going to shoot...

Jason