Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Misfires With My Sig 320X5 Legion?

OSP737

Been shooting this gun for the last two days and started to have misfires.  I had tried some new Winchester primers in my reloads and at first I thought this was the problem.  Then I loaded a magazine with factory and the same thing, about 30% misfires.  All were light hits on the primer.  Took the gun home and seriously cleaned the firing pin channel in the slide and the firing pin group.  Tried a magazine of factory and same thing, misfires because of light hits.  Tried my reloads in a Glock 34 and they fired perfectly.  Called Sig and they send the gun back to them to be checked.  I was told the firing pin spring should last 5000 rounds, which is about what the gun has through it.  Has anyone else had this problem with a 320, and does anyone carry an extra firing pin spring with them?  Or what else could it be?  The chamber was clean and you could drop a round in the barrel and hear it seat so it wasn't a dirty chamber.  I didn't expect to have a problem like this with the X5 Legion.

9 hours ago, OSP737 said:

Been shooting this gun for the last two days and started to have misfires.  I had tried some new Winchester primers in my reloads and at first I thought this was the problem.  Then I loaded a magazine with factory and the same thing, about 30% misfires.  All were light hits on the primer.  Took the gun home and seriously cleaned the firing pin channel in the slide and the firing pin group.  Tried a magazine of factory and same thing, misfires because of light hits.  Tried my reloads in a Glock 34 and they fired perfectly.  Called Sig and they send the gun back to them to be checked.  I was told the firing pin spring should last 5000 rounds, which is about what the gun has through it.  Has anyone else had this problem with a 320, and does anyone carry an extra firing pin spring with them?  Or what else could it be?  The chamber was clean and you could drop a round in the barrel and hear it seat so it wasn't a dirty chamber.  I didn't expect to have a problem like this with the X5 Legion.

The firing pin should last 50k atleast. The striker spring should be changed around 20k.

one problem I had with Winchester primers was seating them too deeply. That’s the only time I had ignition problem in many many rounds. 

I had the same problem.  I just seated the primers deeper and the problem went away.  If it matters I was seating the primers and my Tanfo Stock II had no problems with it.  But the 320 likes the primers a tad deeper.  I also cleaned the striker assembly & channel.

I'm almost to the opinion, like most of you, that it is more of a primer seating problem.  What threw me though is when I had a miss fire with CCI Factory ammo.  I load on a Star Progressive so it is no problem to adjust the primmer seating a little deeper.

Edited by OSP737

• 2 weeks later...

I got my gun back from Sig yesterday with a copy of the service order included.  Under the "Gunsmith Comments" they listed the following.

Firearm Inspection:  Found striker spring coiled over itself, small cloth debris in striker channel.

Worked performed:  Corrected striker spring and removed debris.

Tested:  Firearm passed all function tests and functions as designed.  Fired with no failures.

Ammo fired:  17 rds Sig 124fmj, 17rds Winchester 147fmj.

"Striker spring coiled over itself?"  Never heard of that one, will have to check that every once in a while.  Maybe keep and extra spring on hand.  

While there is no mention of it, the extractor may have been replaced also.  This gun has thousands of rounds through it and I've cleaned it dozens of times.  The extractor the gun came back with does not have a single wear mark on it.  Just a guess.  Took the gun out and put 50 rounds through it.  Worked fine, problem solved.

Edited by OSP737

19 hours ago, OSP737 said:

I got my gun back from Sig yesterday with a copy of the service order included.  Under the "Gunsmith Comments" they listed the following.

Firearm Inspection:  Found striker spring coiled over itself, small cloth debris in striker channel.

Worked performed:  Corrected striker spring and removed debris.

Tested:  Firearm passed all function tests and functions as designed.  Fired with no failures.

Ammo fired:  17 rds Sig 124fmj, 17rds Winchester 147fmj.

"Striker spring coiled over itself?"  Never heard of that one, will have to check that every once in a while.  Maybe keep and extra spring on hand.  

While there is no mention of it, the extractor may have been replaced also.  This gun has thousands of rounds through it and I've cleaned it dozens of times.  The extractor the gun came back with does not have a single wear mark on it.  Just a guess.  Took the gun out and put 50 rounds through it.  Worked fine, problem solved.

Maybe they did but at least its fixed!

• 4 weeks later...