Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a Benelli M2 for dummies intro anywhere?

IHAVEGAS

I am thoroughly ignorant about tactical shotguns and have never even owned a semi auto shotgun, always either shot a pump or double barrel when hunting.

Got the notion that an M2 properly set up for 3 gun would be a fun range toy and a nice upgrade for home self defense so I ordered one, went with Hawkeye Ordnance, wanted somebody with know how to get things started right.

Looking for a 'things to tell newbies that I wish I had known' article if there is such a thing. Any guidance appreciated.

Other thing - entirely unrelated - maybe just weird. Was at a steels match yesterday and got to wondering if any club level matches allow you to shoot steels 2 gun. You'd have to bring your own bucket but it seems like it could be a lot of fun and good practice to shotgun and then switch to pistol for the occasional longer range shot or vice versa. 

I'm pretty sure the advice ChuckS gave is not "being that guy" there is a ton of info on here about them, how they work, how to fix, modify, ruin, etc and most all of it is very good info from guys that have worked and modified them for a very long time. If your really interested it's all here, but you will have to dig around yourself to find it. 

5 minutes ago, kurtm said:

I'm pretty sure the advice ChuckS gave is not "being that guy" there is a ton of info on here about them, how they work, how to fix, modify, ruin, etc and most all of it is very good info from guys that have worked and modified them for a very long time. If your really interested it's all here, but you will have to dig around yourself to find it. 

Which is half the fun.  

12 minutes ago, kurtm said:

If your really interested it's all here, but you will have to dig around yourself to find it. 

There must be 10,000 (100,000?) places on this site where people have contributed helpful links to information that they found valuable on Enos or elsewhere on the internet. I agree that you can do things the other way if no one has guidance or if that is what you prefer.

10 hours ago, kurtm said:

Kurt, waiting for you to write your book on Benelli shotguns!  Not sure how it will sell in the AR-15 era, but you will get at least one sell from me. 

Ok, things for M2 you will wish you knew. It needs oil, if anyone tells you shotguns don't need oil leave immediately. Use at least 1 1/8 ounce shot charges in the 3 dram range. Grease the cam pin and slot. Oil the inertia system. If anyone tells you you lighten the bolt to shoot lighter loads, run away. Magazine springs don't fix that many problems. If it gets shinny, it is telling you where to oil it. Yes you DO oil or grease the locking lug recesses, which means you got to clean them occasionally. Replace the recoil spring after your first 20,000 rounds or so. Have fun! 

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2023 at 6:45 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

There must be 10,000 (100,000?) places on this site where people have contributed helpful links to information...

You're right, it's like trying to take a sip of water out of a fire hose... 

If you could ask some specific questions or express some specific ambitions, then I think we all might be more helpful. 

For me, I wanted an extended mag, a sling loop, a bigger bolt handle, etc. 

Now I'm ready to mod my bolt carrier so that I can ghost load...

2 minutes ago, Bimmer said:

If you could ask some specific questions or express some specific ambitions,

Agreed, but that comes naturally after you have learned enough to proceed with a gun purchase & etc. 

Regardless, thought this was interesting and didn't know about it until today, apparently the M2's have been recently significantly modified. 

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/hunt365-benellis-changes-montefeltro-m2-lupo-firearms-shot-show-2023/