Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Pair of GGI P320s

RangerTrace

11 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

You dusted me.  I don't think my issue is the load or the gun.  I'm still learning the best way for "me" to pull the P320 trigger.  1911s are easy.

Like you, I've always been a fan of VV N320; especially with the 147g bullets.  At the recommendation of Luke/KKM, I bought some N330 to test with the 124/125g JHPs.  It definitely tightened up the groups a bit.......

Sent the MAX to TSA for his competition package.  Have to say it's as close to a 1911 trigger as ANY striker fired pistol I've had in my hands!  We actually discussed that issue prior to him doing the work...........  🤔

1911's are easy???  YES!  Like you, I've also had a love affair with the 1911/2011 platform for right at 50 years!  I enjoy their fire control system more than any other!!!  👍

BTW:  this is that same "match load" I bench rested yesterday in the new LO pistol:

LOC Bench Test Final.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Well, Maybe I need to try some N330.  Is it just as soft as N320?  How many grains are you using for the 124s?

IMO, yes it's just as soft...........a little slower burn rate but about the same energy.........

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powders/n300-powders/

4.7g @ 1.080" which yielded a 135-136PF IIRC.  This fell right in line with KKM's recommendation....... 

Try it..........you'll like it!  ;)

2 hours ago, fedupflyer said:

Thanks.

I feel really dumb now. I deal with so many acronyms at work they were colliding in my head.

Hey!  It happens to us all.......to many acronyms in this day and age!  

Glad to help!

👍😉

On 5/25/2023 at 11:35 AM, HOGRIDER said:

IMO, yes it's just as soft...........a little slower burn rate but about the same energy.........

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powders/n300-powders/

4.7g @ 1.080" which yielded a 135-136PF IIRC.  This fell right in line with KKM's recommendation....... 

Try it..........you'll like it!  ;)

Started with 4.3 grains and didn't make it over 925.  Gonna bump it up and try again on Monday.  I did discover that my new GGI P320 has a slower barrel that the GGI P320 Lockwood.  Both 4.7".  I'm probably lucky I made PF last weekend at Texas State.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Started with 4.3 grains and didn't make it over 925.  Gonna bump it up and try again on Monday.  I did discover that my new GGI P320 has a slower barrel that the GGI P320 Lockwood.  Both 4.7".  I'm probably lucky I made PF last weekend at Texas State.

I may have already mentioned it...........but Luke at KKM said I should be in the 4.7g - 4.8g for my 5" KKM barrel to come into it's "sweet spot"..........

Good luck!  

👍

5 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

You did, I'm just being cautious and posting my results.  I will go 4.7ish tomorrow....

Of course.........I understand; and I would also work up in small steps as your dealing with the 4.7" barrel.........

👍:)

4.8 grains of N330 under an RMR 124 grain TC Matchwinner to 1.125" seems to be the ticket.  This is a 15 shot group fired from a rest at 25 yards.  If you exclude the 3 shooter errors, they made it inside a 1.5" circle.  For any kind of P320, I'm very happy with this group.  HOGRIDER, thanks for the tip!!

70767163537__85496955-F8C7-4AAA-886F-A720BC21E974.jpeg

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

4.8 grains of N330 under an RMR 124 grain TC Matchwinner to 1.125" seems to be the ticket.  This is a 15 shot group fired from a rest at 25 yards.  If you exclude the 3 shooter errors, they made it inside a 1.5" circle.  For any kind of P320, I'm very happy with this group.  HOGRIDER, thanks for the tip!!

70767163537__85496955-F8C7-4AAA-886F-A720BC21E974.jpeg

@RangerTrace:  Those are EXCELLENT results!  

Glad to help!  

:) 

4 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

Wow! What an outcome! Congrats!

Yes. I would be thrilled to get that result. I might pickup some VV330 at some point, I already use RMR 124 FMJ and 124 MPR/JHP, but I suspect the group has as much to do with the shooter as with the ammo.

6 hours ago, ddc said:

Yes. I would be thrilled to get that result. I might pickup some VV330 at some point, I already use RMR 124 FMJ and 124 MPR/JHP, but I suspect the group has as much to do with the shooter as with the ammo.

Thank you, I am certainly trying to learn the P320 trigger and the dot at the same time.  The other N320 load was certainly accurate enough for IDPA/USPSA matches, but if there was a powder out there that could tightening things up a bit, I had to try.  So, I was happy enough about these results that I loaded 1000 rounds of it yesterday to cover Area 4 and Kentucky State.

I shot Area 4 today and started with the newer Modern Classic slide pistol.  All started well, but by the 5th o r 6th stage, I had 4 light strikes.  I switched to the Lockwood and went the rest of the match without a light strike.  This ammo is case gauged and carefully inspected for high or even semi-high primers.  The ammo is perfect.  I use CCI SPP and the Lockwood has never failed on checked ammo.

I'm waiting on a response from Bruce, but I need a quick fix before KY State next week.  I assume I can just swap strikers between the two pistols and it should correct the issue?  FWIW, I LOVE the small TXG grip module and the barrel/slide combo is a tack driver.  For whatever reason, it shoots about 50 FPS slower (than the Lockwood) as well and feels softer!!

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I shot Area 4 today and started with the newer Modern Classic slide pistol.  All started well, but by the 5th o r 6th stage, I had 4 light strikes.  I switched to the Lockwood and went the rest of the match without a light strike.  This ammo is case gauged and carefully inspected for high or even semi-high primers.  The ammo is perfect.  I use CCI SPP and the Lockwood has never failed on checked ammo.

I'm waiting on a response from Bruce, but I need a quick fix before KY State next week.  I assume I can just swap strikers between the two pistols and it should correct the issue?  FWIW, I LOVE the small TXG grip module and the barrel/slide combo is a tack driver.  For whatever reason, it shoots about 50 FPS slower (than the Lockwood) as well and feels softer!!

Is there any significant design differences between the modern classic and the Lockwood slides?

I was under the impression that the Lockwood was essentially the same; perhaps slicked up a bit with some nice checkering differences. Not true?

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I used the MC for 2 years and the only time I had an issue was when the primers were actually too deep. 

1 hour ago, ddc said:

Is there any significant design differences between the modern classic and the Lockwood slides?

I was under the impression that the Lockwood was essentially the same; perhaps slicked up a bit with some nice checkering differences. Not true?

They are the same. 

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I've never had a problem swapping P320 strikers back and forth between multiple P320s. 

However with mass produced components I could certainly see a striker that worked fine with this gun but was marginal with that one.

Edited by ddc