Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo on Table or Shelf

PA_USPSA

USPSA classifier 13-05 states "perform a mandatory reload using the magazines/ammo on the table" and USPSA classifier 99-21 states "make a mandatory reload with a magazine taken from the shelf".  Is it within the rules to pickup the reload magazine when the gun is first picked up, put the magazine on a magnet, and then take the magazine off the magnet to reload?  I would think it would be, but I want to make sure.

Generally yes, but read the WSB and rule 5.2.4.1 ... It must be on the table or shelf at the start signal.  You may retrieve it any time after that and do whatever you want with it EXCEPT put it in your mouth!  The WSB may put additional restrictions on it, so know what it says.

Unless the WSB says you can't stow or carry a magazine after picking it up from the location, then you can do what you want with it other than stick it in your mouth. 

But remember, if you have additional mags on your belt and you end up pulling one of those for any reload during the COF instead of the one you picked up and stowed, then you start getting procedurals. 

USPSA Rules do state:

"""""""""""""""

Magazines may never be held or carried in the mouth. Doing so will result in a zero for the stage.

"""""""""""""""

I must assume that having such items in the mouth can be a hazard if the competitor falls or bumps into some obstacle during a Course of Fire.

IPSC does not have that prohibition. I still wouldn't carry a magazine in my mouth.

10 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

As someone not familiar with USPSA rules, why the specific prohibition on sticking the mag in the mouth 😅

This one was pushed through by DNROI ... Personal bias, I believe.  As someone else has said, it would be perfectly OK under IPSC Rules.