Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2023 rules update

CraigS

IDPA just released V2 of the 2023 rules. I concentrated on the holster stuff since I diy mine. this is one of the rules.

"8.5.1.12 All IDPA legal holsters must hold the butt of the firearm clearly above the top of the belt. Concealment and cant angle rules apply"

I have searched all around for a definition of 'butt of the firearm' w/o any luck. I like the holster as low as I can go. So in my quick drawing which do you think would be legal? I am hoping 2 is legal.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ou1EGs][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52825533506_a8e81fdaa8_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2ou1EGs]20230417_090846[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

1 hour ago, -JCN- said:

So could I use my Carry Optics USPSA holster setup attached to a one-piece belt?

If it looks to competitiony or gamey they might not allow it. I'd stay away from flashy colors, knobs, and levers. Also keep in mind as you drop the gun farther and farther you need a longer concealment garment to cover it. 

And your belt still needs to go through belt loops. 

41 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

If it looks to competitiony or gamey they might not allow it. I'd stay away from flashy colors, knobs, and levers. Also keep in mind as you drop the gun farther and farther you need a longer concealment garment to cover it. 

And your belt still needs to go through belt loops. 

Thank you!

38 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

Thank you!

The smart play really is ask your AC, something like a holster and the whole "suitable for all day carry" s#!t is pretty subjective. Under last years rules I did what you're talking about. Under the current rules I just went back to what I was running before. 

Personally I'd like to run AIWB but most clubs don't allow it. 

While I consider myself more an IDPA shooter, I am now getting more opportunities to shoot USPSA, weekly vs biweekly.   

I use my regular pants belt IDPA holster and magazine carriers for both matches.  I am not sufficient of a hotshot to need whatever advantage a couple hundred bucks worth of double belt and mechanical holster might provide.

I have setup my USPSA belt with a boss inner hanger and a QLS setup.

I then put a QLS attachment on a Tek-Lok attachment and one on a Paddle attachment. I can then use any of my holsters with any belt combination. 

For USPSA Carry Optics I can't be more than 2" from inner belt and this is about 1.8" on the USPSA belt. With the paddle and Tek-Lok the gun is right up and a bit higher than just the heal of the butt. I prefer it that way anyway so there really isn't a difference in draw vs what I had with the boss hanger Y connector.

I have QLS forks on 4 holsters so I can change from my 509 to my Glock to my FNS to my FNS with light in seconds.

13 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

While I consider myself more an IDPA shooter, I am now getting more opportunities to shoot USPSA, weekly vs biweekly.   

I use my regular pants belt IDPA holster and magazine carriers for both matches.  I am not sufficient of a hotshot to need whatever advantage a couple hundred bucks worth of double belt and mechanical holster might provide.

The one big thing you'll find you may need in uspsa vs idpa is a good magnet. If you have a table pick up stage it's noticeably faster to go to a magnet vs stuffing in a pouch.

Another benefit to a lesser degree is it's just nice to have everything mounted on a outer belt and just slap it on and everything is in the right spot. Vs feeding through belt loops and trying to get them in exactly the same spot. But that doesn't really effect your performance. 

I can also hit a reload a touch faster with the pouches further off my body. I could probably change my IDPA pouches under the new rules I just haven't bothered. I'll probably only shoot 2 or 3 more IDPA matches this year. 

54 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

The one big thing you'll find you may need in uspsa vs idpa is a good magnet. If you have a table pick up stage it's noticeably faster to go to a magnet vs stuffing in a pouch.

I love my DivTec magnets... I buy one a year since I met Nathan whether I need one or not :)

6 minutes ago, truespode said:

I love my DivTec magnets... I buy one a year since I met Nathan whether I need one or not :)

I just use a DAA magnet I've had for years. But I like that DivTec magnet cover idea I might have to print something like that for my DAA.