Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Progression to Mastery

ColoradoNick

Posted (edited)

I got my first GM classifier tonight. I shot 100% on 13-05 Tick-tock. 6.85 seconds with 3 Charlie’s for a 10.85HF. Two more of those and I’m there. I believe this will bump my average to 91.5%.

If it would only stop raining on weekends here I would really appreciate it… 78F sunny tomorrow and then low 60’s and rain all weekend AGAIN. It’s been like that all of 2024. 

If Sundays match doesn’t happen (and if it does, they have not shot a classifier since last summer), then the next match I’m shooting isn’t until 5/11 😬

Edited by ColoradoNick

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Another update: Shot a 94.47% on 09-09 last week. Screwed up the SHO of all strings. I’m shooting 23-01 tomorrow. Will report back. Inching closer and closer…

Edited by ColoradoNick

Posted (edited)

So tomorrow we are shooting 13-02 "Down the Middle". I've only shot this one other time and threw a couple mikes on it. My vision has GREATLY improved since then so I'm hoping this one is pretty straight forward for me. I recently took a class with Charlie Perez that was focused on transitions and vision and I think some take aways from that class will really apply.

In order of importance:

-Keeping my vision "in front of the gun". Transitions feel way less rushed when my eyes snap to the next target as soon as the second shot breaks. I've noticed when I do this well time feels like it slows down. Transitions and splits on this classifier should be about the same- in the mid .2 range. 

-Build a solid grip and maintain grip pressure. I'm shooting this one a bit different than most people seem to do and I'll be starting near, transitioning to far. Mostly because I'm more comfortable shooting right to left, but also because I feel I can get a quicker shot off the draw on the close target with a more consistent grip compared to trying to do it opposite. Aiming for a draw speed of 1.1.

-Staying target focused. Relatively easy to do here with transitions that are so close together. 

-Let go of all shoulder tension. In Charlies class I identified my propensity to increase shoulder tension with grip/speed. Relaxing my shoulders makes everything smoother and I don't overrun targets. 

-Don't rush the last target. If everything else works as planned there is plenty of time. Fight the mental urge to rush and trust my experience in shooting on the timer, not the mental "you're too slow" talk. The furthest target distance is right at about the limit of where I can accurately shoot "as fast as I can" so brown blasting could hurt.

I'm at work for 24 hours today so yesterday evening I set up the classifier in my backyard to dry fire with some old targets. None of the neighbors called the cops luckily 🤣. Hopefully I can get a little sleep tonight at work and get a little more dry fire in tomorrow before the match tomorrow night. I need a 93.1%

IMG_4622.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoNick

Wasn't in the cards for me Tuesday night. I was able to not go "too fast" and hit most of the metrics I wanted except for a close mike. 3.10 seconds with 1 mike and 7 alphas. On to the next one... It's kinda cool being at the top of the Top 20 though.

top20.thumb.jpg.b8f640b51915a5d52bc489007fa492a0.jpg

Thanks! Still not there yet, had a good opportunity on Tuesday and slipped and fell in the middle of 19-03. I think nerves have wreaked havoc on my overall match performance over this which is a little frustrating, I feel like I've been focusing way too much effort on it and it needs to just happen naturally. That's the plan going forward. 

I had a really good practice session today. I shot a couple hundred rounds occluded which I have never really spent any time on in live fire. Mostly a combination of visual barrier drills combined with throttle control on very difficult far partials and very close partials. Lately I have had a bad tendency to start the stage very target focused and then gravitate towards staring at the dot which has caused a myriad of other weird issues I've never had to deal with. Shooting occluded felt like it freed up some mental bandwidth to notice other things more- namely my grip and shot calling. I don't know if I ate my Wheaties this morning or what but my grip today felt impeccable. Being occluded also seemed to allow me to call shots with significantly more accuracy. 

I'm shooting the Rocky Mountain 300 this weekend and I'm strongly considering shooting it occluded. I didn't really feel any drawbacks today, so I don't really see a reason not to. Will report back. 

Update- still parked in M class. Shooting occluded has been a game changer. Really really enjoying it. Decided to stop caring about classifiers so much and just go full send on them. Whatever happens happens- I shot 22-06 in 3 seconds flat and missed the A box by 1/2” on the last open target. All A’s 1 Charlie. Ending up with an 87% instead of the 93% I needed. So it goes…. Still on the hunt!

Lemme give a small testament on classifiers that I received from Dazhi, and have passed onto others who've almost made GM. "You already have the speed, just hit alphas". I think you'll make it on the next one if you take it going forward

6 hours ago, TheChewycookie said:

Lemme give a small testament on classifiers that I received from Dazhi, and have passed onto others who've almost made GM. "You already have the speed, just hit alphas". I think you'll make it on the next one if you take it going forward

Yes it’s a fine line for me and I generally look to meet a time where a Charlie or two is acceptable but some classifiers demand all alphas. Saturdays match is one of those. We’ll see how it goes! 

Generally I think the classification system is majorly flawed but it doesn’t mean it isn’t still fun to play it!

Posted (edited)

Got it done today! Felt like a weight off my shoulders and probably had my best match performance ever. The classifier was 99-10 and I shot a 97% on it. That should put me pretty close to a 96% avg come wednesday. 🤘🏻 Really digging shooting occluded. Shot 129 alphas, 11 charlies, and a delta today over 6 stages. Carry Optics win and 2nd overall by 4%

Edited by ColoradoNick

50 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Got it done today! Felt like a weight off my shoulders and probably had my best match performance ever. The classifier was 99-10 and I shot a 97% on it. That should put me pretty close to a 96% avg come wednesday. 🤘🏻 Really digging shooting occluded. Shot 129 alphas, 11 charlies, and a delta today over 6 stages. Carry Optics win and 2nd overall by 4%

Congratulations! Sounds like you’re finding your niche. 
Could you tell me what you mean by the numbers 99-10, 22-06 etc? I’m not familiar with that or maybe I am and just forgot. Thx

34 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Congratulations! Sounds like you’re finding your niche. 
Could you tell me what you mean by the numbers 99-10, 22-06 etc? I’m not familiar with that or maybe I am and just forgot. Thx

Thanks! Those are the classifier numbers. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys! My focus is shifting to our Colorado State Match now. Most likely the only major I'm shooting this year and if I continue on my recent trend I think I stand a shot to do really well. I'll continue to update this thread. 

I shot another match today- another sectional qualifier. 5 stages 118A 12C and 2D, no real mistakes other than the range surface being super hard under loose gravel and almost eating s#!t on 3 of the 5 stages. Both deltas I threw were on hoser stages- which continues to be an area of weakness.

I shot limited optics today with my CO setup and did really well. 98% of the overall. Since shooting occluded my accuracy has gotten ridiculous (yesterday I shot 129A 11C 1D.) I was about a second per stage on average off the pace today so it's time to start easing onto the gas. I think that time will be really easy to make up if I use a little finesse. Going forward I'll be looking at identifying targets that I'd be willing to throw charlies on at the cost of some extra speed. I've played this game in the past and went full dumpster fire so I'm going to use local matches to ease onto the gas and see where that line is and what I can learn next. Next match is next Saturday. I might setup a hoser stage in practice on Friday to figure out where I can improve. If I can find any reason not to shoot occluded it would be on hoser stages with funky leans as I can lose the dot a little.

Edited by ColoradoNick

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 7:54 AM, TheChewycookie said:

I think this is how most people initially see themselves when they progressively get better. Improved results create more questions that have double the unknown answers. I believe if you switch your mind to see 3 good things in your stage performance and have 2 things you'd like to improve, then you'll have a more positive self-image and faster progression to M/GM. You're already analytical with what you do, it's just a matter of building upon it. If you can add video then that can only help you more. I think we can look forward to how you progress

I don’t think Steve Anderson could have said it any better…

Ive always found the classifier can be a mixed bag. Its really how well are you shooting that stage today which is why I feel that if you have a malfunction,

you should be able to reshoot it (maybe not for the match score, but for the report to USPSA) afterall, we’re not testing our equipment we’re testing our skills.

Edited by RoundEye

On 6/18/2024 at 6:13 PM, ColoradoNick said:

Signed up for Dragons Cup, last year looked like a fun match

It's a very fun match. Expect hot weather, but since it is a desert, it is possible to make a 180 in temps like it did in 2023

On 6/18/2024 at 7:09 PM, RoundEye said:

I don’t think Steve Anderson could have said it any better…

I picked up the 3/2 from Tim Herron who picked it up from Steve, and I believe he picked that up from Lanny Bassham