Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Progression to Mastery

ColoradoNick

I started shooting pistols in November of 2022 with the intent of a new hobby with my wife. We have a toddler and there’s a range a couple blocks from my in-laws who happen to be great babysitters. It started with taking the run of the mill pistol classes. From there we got introduced to bowling pin shoots and eventually USPSA. I shot my first match in February of this year. Since then I’ve averaged about 4 matches a month. My goal is to make Master within 12 months of my first match. The wife isn’t as excited about USPSA but still enjoys pin shoots. I plan on using this thread to document my training/progression and mistakes I learned from along the way. I’m blessed to live in the Denver area where it seems like there’s at least 2-3 matches a week. 

Since my first match in February to now I’ve learned a great deal and feel fairly confident about what I’m doing. I’m shooting in Carry Optics with a Shadow 2. Initially when I set out my focus was accuracy and I had a short term goal of shooting an all alpha stage. I was able to accomplish that fairly quickly with an average time and then moved my focus to stage planning (or speed) and limiting unnecessary movements. I’ve almost went too far the other way now and I noticed my accuracy was starting to suffer on classifiers. Mostly my grip. For a little while I had a real problem with not shooting No Shoots too 😂. I’ve had a few top 10 overall matches but mostly because of the run and gun stages. I generally have struggled on the classifiers that focus more on core fundamentals. Either trying to go too fast or making stupid mistakes like hitting steel but it not falling and not even noticing it didn’t fall.

Something else I’ve been working on lately is shooting while moving. In watching others it’s apparent it’s much faster to always be moving if possible. I initially tried this in a match and did horribly with a lot of deltas and mikes. I shot another match today with two classifiers-  “Hi-Way Robbery” which I was able to score my first “A” classifier on while moving and shooting the steel. I went 1 for 1 on the steel and I’m pretty proud of that! I went 7.44 sec with 10 A’s and 2 C’s for a 76%. I also shot “blues don’t care” and even though I had an extra shot on steel I was able to score a 69%. 3.59 seconds with 5 A’s and 2 C’s. This should bump me into B come Wednesday morning. I ended up 5th overall and 2nd in Carry Optics today. Sweet!!! 

My next match is Thursday evening indoors. Indoors generally means less moving and I usually do worse at these. I will spend an hour at the range beforehand working on sight picture and grip in preparation. I’ll also get some dry fire work in on Tuesday. I’ll update on how that went on Friday. Feel free to comment here in the mean time with advice or questions.

Edited by ColoradoNick

4 matches a month is great if you have the time, but honestly I would say quality dry fire and practice sessions are going to do wayyy more for you than more matches, to the point I would forgo 1-2 matches in order to practice more if you don't have the time. 

I didn't start seriously practicing hard until this winter, and within a few months, I bumped to A-class. This was only shooting 1 match a month and maybe 1 live fire a month since it was so cold here. The rest of that was all dry fire. I recommend the Ben Stoeger/Joel Park PST book if you like books for learning. If not, I would recommend an actual class if you haven't taken one (Stoeger, Pranka, SpecTrain, Mason Lane, etc)

Other than that, dry fire minimum 4 times a week for 20-30min or longer, and maybe a live fire practice session once week or so. I would HAMMER the fundamentals and nuance during live fire. Don't run and gun. Doubles and triples drills, Transition vision, Grip and Trigger finger refinement(using doubles), reloads, etc. 

19 minutes ago, BigHand said:

4 matches a month is great if you have the time, but honestly I would say quality dry fire and practice sessions are going to do wayyy more for you than more matches, to the point I would forgo 1-2 matches in order to practice more if you don't have the time. 

I didn't start seriously practicing hard until this winter, and within a few months, I bumped to A-class. This was only shooting 1 match a month and maybe 1 live fire a month since it was so cold here. The rest of that was all dry fire. I recommend the Ben Stoeger/Joel Park PST book if you like books for learning. If not, I would recommend an actual class if you haven't taken one (Stoeger, Pranka, SpecTrain, Mason Lane, etc)

Other than that, dry fire minimum 4 times a week for 20-30min or longer, and maybe a live fire practice session once week or so. I would HAMMER the fundamentals and nuance during live fire. Don't run and gun. Doubles and triples drills, Transition vision, Grip and Trigger finger refinement(using doubles), reloads, etc. 

I dryfire 2-3 times a week now and I know I can benefit from doing it more. I have Ben Stoeger’s books along with Steve Anderson. I’m taking a class from @CHA-LEE in a few weeks and I’m also waitlisted for a Ben Stoeger/Joel Parks class. Right now I live fire practice once a week at a static range. With matches im shooting about 1.5k rounds a month maybe a little more. I definitely need to dig into a better dryfire routine and agree on hammering down on the fundamentals. Right now my draw to first shot is in the 1.2 - 1.5 range in matches. I’ve been able to do a successful bill drill in 1.93 but not cold. I know I have the speed I just need to hammer down on breaking down the fundamentals. Static reloads are another thing I need to gain consistency on. Live fire I’m averaging 1.5 seconds on the timer but again that’s warmed up. 

my focus has been on speed after watching a few videos and realizing that’s where the most time can be made up- transitions and moving into and out of positions. It’s a lot longer of a time commitment to get to a place to practice that vs just shooting matches though. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

4 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

I dryfire 2-3 times a week now and I know I can benefit from doing it more. I have Ben Stoeger’s books along with Steve Anderson. I’m taking a class from @CHA-LEE in a few weeks and I’m also waitlisted for a Ben Stoeger/Joel Parks class. Right now I live fire practice once a week at a static range. With matches im shooting about 1.5k rounds a month maybe a little more. I definitely need to dig into a better dryfire routine and agree on hammering down on the fundamentals. Right now my draw to first shot is in the 1.2 - 1.5 range in matches. I’ve been able to do a successful bill drill in 1.93 but not cold. I know I have the speed I just need to hammer down on breaking down the fundamentals. Static reloads are another thing I need to gain consistency on. Live fire I’m averaging 1.5 seconds on the timer but again that’s warmed up. 

my focus has been on speed after watching a few videos and realizing that’s where the most time can be made up- transitions and moving into and out of positions. It’s a lot longer of a time commitment to get to a place to practice that vs just shooting matches though. 

Sounds like you've got a good game plan man. 

Regarding practice at static range. I'm assuming you mean like an indoor lane type situation, where you can't move at all? Or are you able to practice a little movement at the range? Multiple targets? (2-3)

30 minutes ago, BigHand said:

Sounds like you've got a good game plan man. 

Regarding practice at static range. I'm assuming you mean like an indoor lane type situation, where you can't move at all? Or are you able to practice a little movement at the range? Multiple targets? (2-3)

Thanks! yea, static range single lane. I can do close transitions about 18” apart, work on draws, and reloads. The weather has been kind of crazy here this spring but as soon as it gets consistently better I’m going to try and get to an outdoor range once or twice a month where I would have access to a full berm to do whatever. I’ve already made a half a dozen target stands in prep I just need to get organized with a training plan to make the most of the time. It’s about a 90 min drive each way. 

So transitions for sure can be done in the lane, as well as entry exit, its just limited to the 2ft of the lane, but for me, its not the movement from A-B that is the training I do. It's the mental break that starts the movement without drawing my gun off target. Thats what I train with that. 

I recommend listening the the Speed Up and Get Your Hits podcast. they talk about training days. I ususally only train with 2-3 targets max. Again, trying not to "practice" fun stages lol, but instead the fundamentals and principles that will get you to Master Class. Brantley Merriam has a good youtube video where he talks about practicing for a long time using 3 targets and two sticks placed 10-15ft apart. You can practice almost everything using that setup. 

I also highly recommend practicing a few long strings to see where you break down under stamina distress. Example: you're practicing transitions or something doing 2rds per 3 targets. Trying doing 2 full mags without stopping except for reload. Really drives stamina home and see where you fall off. 

35 minutes ago, BigHand said:

So transitions for sure can be done in the lane, as well as entry exit, its just limited to the 2ft of the lane, but for me, its not the movement from A-B that is the training I do. It's the mental break that starts the movement without drawing my gun off target. Thats what I train with that. 

I recommend listening the the Speed Up and Get Your Hits podcast. they talk about training days. I ususally only train with 2-3 targets max. Again, trying not to "practice" fun stages lol, but instead the fundamentals and principles that will get you to Master Class. Brantley Merriam has a good youtube video where he talks about practicing for a long time using 3 targets and two sticks placed 10-15ft apart. You can practice almost everything using that setup. 

I also highly recommend practicing a few long strings to see where you break down under stamina distress. Example: you're practicing transitions or something doing 2rds per 3 targets. Trying doing 2 full mags without stopping except for reload. Really drives stamina home and see where you fall off. 

Awesome, I’ll definitely check this out! Thank you 👍

@ColoradoNick I shot my first firearm in November 2020, I spent 2021 taking all sorts of classes for high performance shooting because I didn't grow up with firearms and wanted to be safe/competent. In December of '21 I shot an outlaw 'intro to USPSA' match. My wife and I got hooked. We now shoot 3-4 matches a month. I'm classified as M in carry optics, and currently shooting Open in A class.

Much of the advice above is spot on.  I'd say the biggest thing is understanding how you can advance you gun handling (draws, presentation, reloads) quickly, and the place to do that is dryfire. In parallel (For the game), the biggest areas to cut time at the start is movement and transitions; also can be improved in the dry. And if you can manage a live fire training session once a week, that would be plenty. And there, I'd devote the time initially to doing doubles at varying distances. Try to understand what's happening with your grip and your vision with how the dot behaves (confirmation levels) at varying distances.

Best of luck in your journey! 

We’re on a camping trip right now and I noticed an outdoor shooting spot about a mile down the road. Good thing I drive around with my own target setup 😂😂😂 I haven’t filmed myself in awhile and I have no idea when I started sticking my ass out so far. There’s time to be made up there… Also no comment on the socks please…. 🤣

I shot some transitions and reload drills between 5 and 10 yards. 10 is where my speed fell off and probably where I should start practice at next time. At 5 and 7 yards I shot about 200 rounds, 3 targets with a yard in between. My averages were the same at these distances- 1.02 second draw to first shot, 0.27 second average between targets, and same target splits averaged 0.18 seconds. Am I right to assume at such close distances I should be able to make these two split times one and the same? This is shooting alphas.

At 10 yards my draw slowed to 1.4 seconds with transitions between targets at an average of 0.4. Split times on the same target were relatively unaffected between 5 and 10 yards. I shot another 100 rounds at this distance to get these averages. 

Reloads were the most inconsistent and this video is probably the best I did today. My times averaged between 1.2 and 1.9. I believe a lot of it comes down to muscle memory and grabbing the mag the same way every time. I’d love any advice here, it’s something I plan on working on in dryfire before my next match. 

I also shot some doubles out to 15 and got pretty comfortable with sight picture. Focusing on grip makes a big difference at 15 and when I remember to do it my group size is similar to 5 and 7 yards. 

here’s the clip on YouTube-

https://youtube.com/shorts/quFroawccQA?feature=share

Edited by ColoradoNick

LOL, I would not worry about your stance or how funny it may or may not look. Comfort and feeling "natural" is key. The exception to that is if your body position is canted, crooked, or won't allow you to either shoot accurately or move quickly. 

I would abandon most all practice inside 10yds for regular practice and start practicing at 10-25yds, with more emphasis on the 15yd line. THAT is where you will be humbled and learn the most about grip/tension/trigger. 

There is really only one reason I go inside 10yds now and that is: 1.) Fun, or new/old drills where I want to confirm absolute speed before moving back. 2.) Pushing the limits for what is achievable on close target arrays. This is training to stay relaxed while moving as fast as possible and basically not seeing my dot at all. I'm just shooting instinctively with my vision. 

When you move to 15yds, what are your doubles splits? If your group size at 15 is the same as it is at 5 or 10yds, you're either firing too slow at 5yds or too slow at 15yds. 

I've been spending practice lately on nothing but grip and doubles at 15-25yds. Half the time I focus on grip more, and half the time I focus on vision, throwing in transitions.

Here's 9x doubles at 21yds the other day, these are 0.19-0.21s splits. The mistakes REALLY show themselves and I try to tie those mistakes to vision and "feel" of the grip. Distance is where the nuance comes into play.

So I'm pretty happy with the main group, although slightly off center. But I had 2 shots dive bomb from attempting to control recoil too much, and I noticed it as the dot dived down on me during the second shot. The 2 far left shots are what Im working on now, which is grip pressures and position. You'd NEVER notice that as much at 5-10yds. 

IMG_9707.thumb.jpg.799587c22cd687bbaee292fcb22f0639.jpg

Edited by BigHand

7 minutes ago, BigHand said:

LOL, I would not worry about your stance or how funny it may or may not look. Comfort and feeling "natural" is key. The exception to that is if your body position is canted, crooked, or won't allow you to either shoot accurately or move quickly. 

I would abandon most all practice inside 10yds for regular practice and start practicing at 10-25yds, with more emphasis on the 15yd line. THAT is where you will be humbled and learn the most about grip/tension/trigger. 

There is really only one reason I go inside 10yds now and that is: 1.) Fun, or new/old drills where I want to confirm absolute speed before moving back. 2.) Pushing the limits for what is achievable on close target arrays. This is training to stay relaxed while moving as fast as possible and basically not seeing my dot at all. I'm just shooting instinctively with my vision. 

When you move to 15yds, what are your doubles splits? If your group size at 15 is the same as it is at 5 or 10yds, you're either firing too slow at 5yds or too slow at 15yds. 

I've been spending practice lately on nothing but grip and doubles at 15-25yds. Half the time I focus on grip more, and half the time I focus on vision, throwing in transitions.

Here's 9x doubles at 21yds the other day. The mistakes REALLY show themselves and I try to tie those mistakes to vision and "feel" of the grip. Distance is where the nuance comes into play. So I'm pretty happy with the main group, although slightly off center. But I had 2 shots dive bomb from attempting to control recoil too much, and I noticed it as the dot dived down on me during the second shot. The 2 far left shots are what Im working on now, which is grip pressures and position. You'd NEVER notice that as much at 5-10yds. 

IMG_9707.thumb.jpg.799587c22cd687bbaee292fcb22f0639.jpg

That definitely all makes sense to me! I’ll start working at 15-25 yards and skip the close stuff. What’s your method for transitions at an indoor range where you have one lane?

28 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

That definitely all makes sense to me! I’ll start working at 15-25 yards and skip the close stuff. What’s your method for transitions at an indoor range where you have one lane?

Fortunately I don't have to worry about that as I have a 200yd range in my backyard, BUT I do transition dry fire practice on very small targets and the goal is the dot leaves and stops cleanly as I'm ready to pull the trigger. So thats all you need to replicate. Remember the principles of transitions for most targets have nothing to do with target size or distance, but with vision.

Vision -- So moving your eyes to the next target as the last shot is being fired. Not as you're pulling the trigger, but as the shot goes off. You can practice this with a beep, the trigger "click", or with an actual shot. Your vision moves to the new target and locks into a specific spot, and your gun follows but does not "snap" or push hard, it sort of floats quickly lol. The dot should come directly to your spot your vision is on and settle easy, not over reaching. 

If I was in a static range like that, I would draw 1"-4" circles(3-10yds) on the target board and simply practice on making sure my vision comes off as the shot rings out, but the shot is still on target. Then finding that spot quickly with my vision and sliding that transition over and pressing that shot off as soon as it's there. You can initiate with a beep or not. I often aim and wait for the random beep, transition without firing a shot off the beep then fire into the new target.... then do the opposite as well. 

Plenty of drills and I'm no GM, so explore more as well. 

Edited by BigHand

I was able to do some transition dry fire last night after listening to a "Speed Up and Get your Hits" podcast. I've definitely been muscling the gun on transitions. It's going to take more work to get there but using my eyes to transition seemed like a bit of a lightbulb moment. Excited to see how it goes once I feel proficient and can push it a little bit. 

Going to do some more live fire training tomorrow before a match and my general plan is as follows-

-Transition work using my eyes out to 10 yards on some smaller targets (single lane range)

-Doubles at 15/20/25yds focusing on grip and sight picture on draw.

-Reloads

-Strong hand/weak hand at 10 yards. 

Worked on doubles at 15 and 20 yards this afternoon. First couple shots at 20 felt awkward with how the dot jumped. 

draws at 15 and 20 were relatively the same. Average 1.4 seconds

splits at 15 averaged .23

splits at 20 averaged .35

i also did a lot of transition work at 7 yards and that’s where I’ll be spending considerable focus. 👍

2D5EE434-AF87-46A6-8F76-20C89D9BFD42.jpeg

6692B1DB-93B4-4A31-B21A-9AA3C86F761D.jpeg

Shot a match this evening and worked on moving while shooting. Something I also need to dial in. The speed is definitely there but accuracy is fleeting. It seems like when I start the stage I slowly forgot to grip the gun appropriately. It’s not that it’s moving in my hand from shooting but it feels like the muscle memory still isn’t there and my focus moves elsewhere while the stage plays out. 

I should be able to get out to a range in the next couple weeks where I can work on movement. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

Also got into Ben Stoeger and Joel Park’s class over Memorial Day weekend. Pretty excited for that. Not so excited about driving 8 hours to Nebraska lol. 

I think you'll learn a lot in that class. Let us know how it goes

Shot another match over the weekend and mostly did really well. I completely screwed up a complicated stage with poor planning that I ended up shooting first on. I shot the classifier Thunder and Lightning, nailed my reload and got my second A classifier score. I was able to complete all strings of the classifier in their entirety but shot it significantly quicker than I needed to, especially the first string. More doubles at distance are in the training regiment. I ended up 3rd out of 7 in Carry Optics B with the top 3 separated by less than 1% point. My stage break down in Carry Optics overall ended up 5th, 9th, 10th, 20th, 16th, 6th. Normally I have pretty good stage planning but for some reason this one got the best of me and I got completely lost in the middle of it and gave up a solid 8 seconds. I was able to go 5/5 on steel in another stage while shooting while moving so that training has paid off. 

I'm shooting a bowling pin match Thursday where I plan on working on transitions. I was able to get a good dry fire session in yesterday working on the basics from the Steve Anderson book. Looking forward to doing this more regularly cause I can tell it's building a solid foundation. My goal right now is 30 minutes a day 4 days a week which is what my schedule allows. I'm probably going to step back in my live fire practice a little bit in prep for conserving ammo for my upcoming classes but also because I feel like I'm getting more out of the dry fire for right now. I'm shooting an outlaw match next week that I'm going to try and get video of. It should be a chance to work on a lot of target transitions of targets in varying sizes. Otherwise I'm looking forward to next months shooting calendar. I'm taking a class on May 6/7 and then shooting matches the 13-15. Hopefully that gives me a week of dry fire practice after the class and then the ability to put it into practice in a match environment. I also ordered a couple steel targets the size of the A/C box to take to the outdoor range to work on transitions with and longer distance doubles with affirmation now that weather is improving.

Edited by ColoradoNick

Posting this here more as a reminder to myself than for anything else. When I figured this out today I repeated it for about 20 minutes until my arms were exhausted trying not to “lose it”. My reloads have generally been slow. In dryfire I’ve been stuck at a par of 1.2 which I only hit about 80% of the time. In dryfire practice today I set out to improve this and I had a bit of an “ahh hah” moment. 

First I adjusted my first (ghost) mag pouch to one setting from horizontal, from being more vertical. Swiping it this way felt more natural but it still didn’t increase speed. 

Next, by breaking it down I realized I could hit some 1.1’s by ignoring the mag release on a gun with no mag in it. This made me realize I wasn’t swiping the new mag until I hit the mag release. This was stupid, it can be done simultaneously. I finally started hitting a few under 1.2

Then I focused on keeping the gun 90% mounted and more vertical. In a match last week I had a problem dropping a near empty mag as I have a bad habit of canting the gun before dropping the mag. Eliminating about 50% of the cant allowed me to hit 9/10 reloads in a row perfectly as well as breaking under a second. I had a couple where I had a new mag in the gun before the old one hit the ground. Achievement unlocked 😎 Now I need to build some muscle memory!

Ben Stoeger’s “practical shooting” book came in the mail and I’m headed to an outdoor range tomorrow to work on some drills with multiple targets. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

I shot an outlaw match earlier this week and it was a good opportunity to test some of what Ive been working on in dry fire- transitions, trigger pull, and entry/exits. I ended up winning Carry Optics and got 3rd overall. This was a small match at my local range so that doesn’t mean much but I’m pretty happy with my progress. This is a clip from stage 2. There were two optional bowling pins hanging in the back that would take 2 seconds each off your stage time. Check out entry into shooting position 2 and having the gun up ready to go after a reload, it’s a vast improvement for me. I’m also happy with my cadence on target transitions, and my accuracy was acceptable.

https://youtu.be/04xhetuKoQg

Edited by ColoradoNick

I took Charlie Perez's class this weekend (https://bigpandaperformance.com) and highly recommend it. I came away with a handful of light bulb moments along with 7 pages of notes. Enough to keep me busy for the summer for sure! Incorporating a lot of what he taught into my dry fire training starting with breaking a couple bad habits first so I don't continue to do them. I'm going to see if a weeks worth of specific focused dry fire will break all the extra movement in my draw before a match this weekend. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

• 2 weeks later...

All the matches last weekend were cancelled due to rain. I was able to shoot an indoor match on Monday and try and put some of what I’ve been working on to practice. Had kind of a s#!tty night but probably shot the best stage of my life so far. In that stage I ended up 3rd overall behind a GM, and M. More important than that though it just felt “good”. Like everything clicked. I don’t think I left any low hanging fruit on that stage and that might be a first. 

I shot the classifier at 74.7 which helped bump my average up to just under 72. It should have been higher but I left a Charlie on an easy open target. I would have finished well overall but completely botched another stage focusing strictly on movement. I also had a mag pouch almost fall off and my holster was extremely loose. That will remind me to always check my gear.

My new mantra is “Visually Patient- always Aggressive”. Hoping that will remind me to wait for a good sight picture while still hauling ass. 

I’m shooting another indoor match tomorrow night that usually doesn’t have a whole lot of movement so I can focus on being visually patient, no where near as fun but it’s what I need. Then this weekend I’m shooting a 6 stage all classifier.

In semi-unrelated news I changed my zero from 15 to 25 and realized the accuracy of my reloads are horrible. I have another thread in the CZ forum going debating that issue though. Next week the slide from my shadow 2 orange will be delivered after getting it milled for an optic. Once I have that together I’ll readdress the accuracy issue. I may be switching to Sport Pistol from Titegroup. Or maybe jacketed bullets. Will report back next week.

Edited by ColoradoNick

Shot a match tonight with two classifiers. 09-04 Pucker factor, I was able to shoot in 2.9 with 3A, 4C, and a D. The delta ended up keeping me out of getting the bump to A. It didn’t feel anywhere near that fast but I must have nailed my transitions, it felt really smooth. The first target was basically predictive shooting and I was about 1/4” from two alphas. Shooting this classifier with better accuracy is definitely within my grasp. I shot it closest to furthest and went 2 Charlie, Alpha/Charlie, 2 Alpha, Alpha/Delta. I decided to go closest to furthest after testing my index times and even though the closest target was only a head box it was significantly faster. Without knowing that I would have shot it open target (furthest to closest). 

The second classifier we shot was 13-05 tic-toc. Trying to go to fast I had a jam when racking the slide. I still shot it in 8.5 but the hit factor wasn’t there. Without the jam I think I would have been where I needed to be- around 8 flat. Two steps forward, one step backwards. Such is the game… 

Edited by ColoradoNick

On 5/18/2023 at 10:51 PM, ColoradoNick said:

Two steps forward, one step backwards. Such is the game… 

I think this is how most people initially see themselves when they progressively get better. Improved results create more questions that have double the unknown answers. I believe if you switch your mind to see 3 good things in your stage performance and have 2 things you'd like to improve, then you'll have a more positive self-image and faster progression to M/GM. You're already analytical with what you do, it's just a matter of building upon it. If you can add video then that can only help you more. I think we can look forward to how you progress