Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No half cock

Rin

More info needed. Did it work originally? Did you do, or have any trigger work done? If out of the blue it no longer goes into half cock, something broke, or something got loose.

Edited by Postal Bob

If it has been working for a while and suddenly stopped, your hammer hooks need attention.

It you were just adjusting the trigger group, you may have put too  little pretravel in.

If you just installed a new trigger without pretravel, the bow is too long.  A very common occurrence.  The only thing you can do, other than put a new trigger in, is tap the end of the bow with a punch to make it slightly concave.  That should allow the half cock to resume working.

If you decide to replace the trigger, buy the new one from Red Dirt.  They have a shorter bow and a screw to adjust pretravel.  Easy peasy.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:29 AM, Norther said:

Interesting trigger. Hadn’t seen that one before. Thanks for the heads up. 

Just installed a Red Dirt in a Cheely e2 grip.  Fit perfectly.  Adjustment of pretravel was a very big plus.  You can do it with the wrench inserted, test the half cock and adjust.  Repeat until you have it perfect.  Their video is deceiving, because you can't get that little pretravel and still have half cock work.

So the plusses for me were the trigger fit with no adjustment.  Not having to take the trigger out to make adjustments.  Alternately, not having to put too much pretravel in via the arm and having to tap it down little buy little.  Bottom line, it saves time.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Just installed a Red Dirt in a Cheely e2 grip.  Fit perfectly.  Adjustment of pretravel was a very big plus.  You can do it with the wrench inserted, test the half cock and adjust.  Repeat until you have it perfect.  Their video is deceiving, because you can't get that little pretravel and still have half cock work.

So the plusses for me were the trigger fit with no adjustment.  Not having to take the trigger out to make adjustments.  Alternately, not having to put too much pretravel in via the arm and having to tap it down little buy little.  Bottom line, it saves time.

@zzt

I'm guessing your GS was purposely disabled on the E2.......  

Any chance those installing in a stock 2011 grip may run into grip safety not functioning when adjusting for minimum pre-travel? 

BTW:  The RD trigger looks like an excellent upgrade!  And like you said, will save a ton of time when making adjustments!

👍

10 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@zzt

I'm guessing your GS was purposely disabled on the E2.......  

Any chance those installing in a stock 2011 grip may run into grip safety not functioning when adjusting for minimum pre-travel? 

BTW:  The RD trigger looks like an excellent upgrade!  And like you said, will save a ton of time when making adjustments!

👍

The GS on an e2 is nonfunctional, because it doesn't have the arm.   Installation on a gun that will wear a functional GS is not an issue. 

I wouldn't consider the Red Dirt an upgrade.  I would use it in a new build only.  I had installed an STI gunsmith fit trigger in the grip originally.  I did have to fit the shoe and the tabs on the bow, but I didn't have to file off the locating tabs at the rear of the e2 trigger guard.  You have to if you want to use an X-Line or other standard width trigger shoe.

Their video is a little deceiving.  If you are buying this trigger because you think you will get less pretravel and still have the half cock work, don't.  You need exactly the same amount of pretravel as another trigger.  Also, the video shows you setting the pretravel with the gun disassembled.  It is true you can easily adjust the travel until you get it to the exact spot the half cock will not fall when the trigger is pulled.  If you call it quits then and assemble the gun, it will fail the half cock test.  W hen you rack the slide just enough to move the hammer to half cock, you can move the trigger to the rear.  It will not drop the hammer, but it fails the test.  You should not be able to move the trigger at all.  So there is some fiddling involved.  You have to disassemble the gun, add more pretravel and retest.  Eventually you will learn just how much of a turn you need to add the extra required pretravel.

I like the trigger.  With anything for the first time there is a learning curve.  I'll definitely use this trigger in my next build.  Now that I know what to adjust for, it will be a snap.

Tip:  put the wrench through the hole in the rear of the bow instead of over it as the video shows.  That retains the wrench and allows you to make incremental adjustments with the wrench in place.

Tip2:  This trigger is specifically for an e2 grip that is unmodified.  If you filled off the tabs to fit a wider shoe, this shoe will have too much side-to-side play.  The wider shoe version for an e2 is way down on their priority list.  I now agree.  If you have a trigger already fit, the Red Dirt adds nothing to the equation.

Edited by zzt