Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Standard Division Help

Reds_Dot

I am interested in shooting Standard Divsion for US IPSC Nationals but there is a vaccuum of information. I did searches here on Enos (anf Google in general) and get nothing but lots of threads about "standard capacity magazines". 

Here are my questions: 

I have a 2011 that is set up for Limited Major.

I think the big SVI magwell is too big for "the box". Does anyone know if there are SVI magwells that fit in the IPSC box? If so, can you point me to them? SVI seems to only sell the big magwells. 

I have 140mm magazines which are, as much as I can gather, too big. Are 126mm magazines the correct size? If so, do I get flat or angled basepads? 

For standard divsion what capacities are people getting with major, .40? I get 20-21 depending on the mag/follower in Limited. 

Thanks in advance for the help! 

Just in case:

IPSC Standard Division Special conditions:

14. A handgun in its ready condition (see Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty
cylinder closed, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225 mm x 150
mm x 45 mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply.

15. The handgun is placed inside the box (and ultimately removed) by the competitor with the slide parallel to the
longest side of the box. Rear adjustable sights may be slightly depressed but the slide must be fully forward, and
all other features of the handgun, (e.g. collapsible and/or folding sights, slide rackers, thumb rests, grips etc.),
must be fully extended or deployed when the gun is seated inside the box. Additionally, telescoping magazines
and/or magazines with compressible base pads are expressly prohibited.

(Appendix D2 of http://legacy.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf )

An update to the Rules is coming soon but there shouldn't be anything that affects Standard.

Draw a box on paper and fit it or better make one.

With 20 or 21 rounds of .40 I doubt it will fit the box, you will get 20 or 21 rounds with 9mm if set up correctly.

The most I get is 18 rounds of .40 reloadable but I have never gone for the absolute maximum, just isn't worth my time/money and effort.

Which basepads only the box can tell you, it depends on the height of the rear sight as well. Some guns have it machined lower into the slide than others.

I have a SVI magwell on my SVI, fit's the box perfect. Won't expect anything else tbh.

@Reds_Dot

The 140 USPSA style mags WILL NOT FIT ... Full stop!  Generally speaking, the 126 with standard base pads fair well. As others have said, rear sight heigth IS an issue.

Not sure on the mag well you discuss ... BUT, If it's less than 45mm wide, it should fit.

Recommendation ... Considering the amount you'll be spending just to GO to the match, why not just buy an official IPSC Standard Box so you can measure things and be sure ... Cost is about $130 at DAA Standard Division Measurement Box - for IPSC and USPSA (doublealpha.biz)

Cheers

Angled basepads on 124/126mm mags. If you have an infinity with low profile sights you can fit the plus 2 pads. If not you must use the plus 1's in this pic. 

That's what I need with STI mags in my STI tactical with novaks. An edge with bomar sights has more room. 

A standard division magwell has a taper on the front like the svi below. 

image.png.f47a946ab6ee606256c54a59a04ead0b.png

Pin on Pew Pew

6 hours ago, perttime said:

Just in case:

IPSC Standard Division Special conditions:

14. A handgun in its ready condition (see Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty
cylinder closed, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225 mm x 150
mm x 45 mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply.

Appreciated. I read the division rules and then had a bunch of questions. Hence me ending up here.

6 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

Draw a box on paper and fit it or better make one.

The most I get is 18 rounds of .40 reloadable but I have never gone for the absolute maximum, just isn't worth my time/money and effort.

Which basepads only the box can tell you, it depends on the height of the rear sight as well. Some guns have it machined lower into the slide than others.

That's a simple and brilliant idea and I'm ashamed I didn't think of that. 

Good to know that 18'ish rounds is to be expected.

Not sure which I have. My grip is SVI but the upper is an old STI Edge with Dawson sights. See the attached pic.

4 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

@Reds_Dot

The 140 USPSA style mags WILL NOT FIT ... Full stop!  Generally speaking, the 126 with standard base pads fair well. As others have said, rear sight heigth IS an issue.

Recommendation ... Considering the amount you'll be spending just to GO to the match, why not just buy an official IPSC Standard Box so you can measure things and be sure ... Cost is about $130 at DAA Standard Division Measurement Box - for IPSC and USPSA (doublealpha.biz)

Cheers

I didn't say my 140mms would fit. I gathered they wouldn't. 

It's reasonable consideration. I am already gonna need to spend $60-100 on a new magwell, and another ~$450 on legal mags....

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

Angled basepads on 124/126mm mags. If you have an infinity with low profile sights you can fit the plus 2 pads. If not you must use the plus 1's in this pic. 

That's what I need with STI mags in my STI tactical with novaks. An edge with bomar sights has more room. 

Noted on the angled basepads. I'm not sure what sort of sights I have aside from them being Dawsons. I think @Schutzenmeister has a valid point. If I'm gonna spend the $$$ I might as well get an IPSC box. 

Thanks for the responses everyone. This has already been more informative than 2 hours of forum and Google searches. 

20230220_154520.jpg

That magwell does look big. Surely the widest thing on the pistol. How wide is it? The magwell in dansedgli's post looks way smaller, and has a bevel towards the front, reducing the space it takes in the Box.

@Reds_Dot if you look at your pistol and the pistol dansedgli posted, your sights are on top of the slide on his picture almost in the slide.

With the sights sitting that high I am not sure even a +1 basepad will fit, I am curious as to what you end up with.

+1's should fit. They fit with my gun last time I checked. 

Factory edge sights are fine. You will need to squish them down to get in the box. A standard Edge is made to fit perfectly with not much wiggle room. 

That is the wrong magwell though. You need to swap it. 

This is my standard gun. The cheely magwell scrapes in but it would fit much easier if the front of the magwell was bevelled like the SVI above. If you draw an imaginary line across the bottom of my basepad that is what needs to go.  It really needs a push to get in a tight box as it sits. 

20220321_133337.thumb.jpg.008fb34bc19b69ed5e6d93e6f711139e.jpg

Well, this has been super informative. I appreciate the pics and explanations from everyone.@dansedgli Thanks for the further info.

@perttime I'm not sure how big it is. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a big or small magwell. I wasn't sure so he said I should go big. See the attached pic to see the size from the bottom.

I am tempted at this point to just get a "Standard" gun made before IPSC nats. Gives me an excuse to get a backup gun for limited and now I don't have to worry about making my Edge fit the Standard box.

20230323_222323.jpg

Normally all it takes to switch an Edge over is a small IPSC magwell (the "factory" STI usually fits) and short mags.  Big thumbrests and giant safeties can sometimes be a problem width-wise.