Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ar-15-safety-magazine/

Hi Guy's 

Anyone know where I might be able to find an AR safety magazine foe use in IPSC? using a pump rifle so the standard flags don't work the best. Need to get it down here to Australia. Type I'm looking for below.

TIA

Terry

in-ar-square-small-100x100.jpg.webp

Just checked the rules (2019) and no such thing appears that I can see. The term "chamber safety flag"appears 7 times one of those is a description in the Glossary - Chamber Safety Flag .......... A brightly colored device, no part of which resembles a round or any part thereof. The flag must be incapable of being inserted into a firearm which has a loaded chamber and must, while fitted, prevent a round from being inserted into the chamber. The flag must have an integral tab or ribbon clearly protruding from the firearm.

About the only thing that might rule one out would be the ribbon but if that's attached to the mag it would protrude from the magwell.

I might chase it up with my National NROI

And I would like to point out that the magazine type chamber flag can be inserted with a round in the  chamber. ( Lock the bolt back, drop.a round in and put the mag block in) Do what you want to do, but you are going to be disappointed when your high dollar mag block is not allowed, been there done that! 

Just stating fact that there is no rule cover the use of these, so if you've been told you can't because of the reason you state ( that the rulebook says you can't) you've been lied to.

Spoken to my Regional NROI and he said he cant see an issue to not use them. Will I ? probably not as it'll cost more to get one here than it does for the item. But that's the case with most stuff we need.

All I can tell you is mine was disallowed at 2 Nordic rifle championships, and at one world rifle championship. I was told by the range master at world rifle that some part of the flag MUST fit into the chamber. I argued the rule with them and they flatly said if you run it you WILL be D.Q.ed. If I have been lied to, it was by one of the heads of IROA! Feel free to use it all you want, but be advised have a spare chamber flag that inserts into the chamber with you or suffer the consequences. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 8:39 PM, terrydoc said:

Just checked the rules (2019) and no such thing appears that I can see. The term "chamber safety flag"appears 7 times one of those is a description in the Glossary - Chamber Safety Flag .......... A brightly colored device, no part of which resembles a round or any part thereof. The flag must be incapable of being inserted into a firearm which has a loaded chamber and must, while fitted, prevent a round from being inserted into the chamber. The flag must have an integral tab or ribbon clearly protruding from the firearm.

About the only thing that might rule one out would be the ribbon but if that's attached to the mag it would protrude from the magwell.

I might chase it up with my National NROI

I know this is an older thread, but the bold above would indicate a mag block is NOT allowed.