Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Holster and Leg Muzzling

m0dnar

So I'm using a race holster for the first time and I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using a DAA Flex and whenever the gun is holstered and I'm in my lowered center of gravity start position, the muzzle is pointing directly at the outside edge of my leg. Now I've done some dry fire with it and tried to rush how quickly I remove the safety and at my current skill level I cannot physically get to the safety faster than the muzzle becomes level with the ground, but under time pressure I'd still be worried I somehow knock the safety off as I establish my grip. 

I've tried to watch as many YouTube reviews of the holster to see if others have the problem, but honestly there's not a whole lot of footage out there. There's a few good clips of Max Michel, but he uses an upright starting position and if I stand like that, I have no issues. I can try and get some pictures later if people think it'll be helpful to help diagnose. 

Edited by m0dnar

Common issue.  I broke a DAA race holster one time at the Texas Limited Championships.  I squatted down to look through a low port during the walk through.  The muzzle of the gun pressed against my leg hard enough to break the locking device.  Thankfully I had a spare rig with me.

6 hours ago, m0dnar said:

So I'm using a race holster for the first time and I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using a DAA Flex and whenever the gun is holstered and I'm in my lowered center of gravity start position, the muzzle is pointing directly at the outside edge of my leg. Now I've done some dry fire with it and tried to rush how quickly I remove the safety and at my current skill level I cannot physically get to the safety faster than the muzzle becomes level with the ground, but under time pressure I'd still be worried I somehow knock the safety off as I establish my grip. 

I've tried to watch as many YouTube reviews of the holster to see if others have the problem, but honestly there's not a whole lot of footage out there. There's a few good clips of Max Michel, but he uses an upright starting position and if I stand like that, I have no issues. I can try and get some pictures later if people think it'll be helpful to help diagnose. 

Didn't know if you had seen this review.........

Seems with the single cant adjustment it could easily be rotated prior to a stage?  

Does the manual lock "have" to be engaged prior to a stage start?

Just thinking out loud since I purchased a new Flex for upcoming LO and have tried to thoroughly research the options it offers for optimal use.............

🤔

So I get for a seated start there's no getting around muzzling your leg without shifting the whole belt, but I'm muzzling my leg from a normal standing start. Would that potentially be DQ territory as there would be that split second when the gun leaves the holster, but it's still muzzling my leg?

Edited by m0dnar

6 minutes ago, m0dnar said:

So I get for a seated start there's no getting around muzzling your leg without shifting the whole belt, but I'm muzzling my leg from a normal standing start. Would that potentially be DQ territory as there would be that split second when the gun leaves the holster, but it's still muzzling my leg?

I would be more worried about the ER than the DQ. 

5 hours ago, m0dnar said:

Would that potentially be DQ territory as there would be that split second when the gun leaves the holster, but it's still muzzling my leg?

I would suggest you read the rule book thoroughly at least once, not trying to be snarky but you need to know the rules well. It is explained here :

10.5.5Allowing the muzzle of a firearm to point at any part of any person’s body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping).  If the RO is swept, the Range Master must be called to determine if it was RO interference or a DQ.

10.5.5.1Exception –A match disqualification is not applicable for sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering a handgun, provided that the competitor’s fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard. This exception is only for holstered handguns. Sweeping does not apply to a handgun holstered in compliance with Rules 5.2.1and 5.2.7.

10.5.6While facing downrange, allowing the muzzle of a loaded firearm to point uprange beyond a radius of 3 feet from a competitor’s feet while drawing or re-holstering

For the rest, I wouldn't worry about it. The gun is not going to go off unless you pull the trigger, even if the hammer would drop off the sear the half-cock notch will catch it.