Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 shielded thumb safety recommendation

fireman1776

4 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

There are a few options out there and I’m looking for recommendations for/against any. 

putting it on a staccato P. 

MPA is using this on their new LO Comp pistol:

https://www.speedshooter.com/product/doubletap-sports-ambi-thumb-safety-with-shield/

The test mule I handled felt very good!  ;)

My recent experience with a Wilson was disappointing.  One cracked before I completed installation, the replacement was so spongy that pushing the right hand side wouldn't completely disengage the left side.  These weren't the shielded ones mind you, but these ambi ones were just MIM'd....

On 3/30/2023 at 6:52 PM, John Whidden said:

My recent experience with a Wilson was disappointing.  One cracked before I completed installation, the replacement was so spongy that pushing the right hand side wouldn't completely disengage the left side.  These weren't the shielded ones mind you, but these ambi ones were just MIM'd....

I'm in the middle of blending a pistol with the same safeties and couldn't agree with you more. Had the same sponginess until the detent area was cleaned up. Although the price is attractive, for the time spent fitting and blending I'd rather pay double or more for better part.

On 3/31/2023 at 5:04 AM, Jhorizon1 said:

Double tap looks promising, but I haven’t tried them. Looks similar to the Phoenix trinity I prefer (out of stock).

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Browse-by-Manufacturer/Double-Tap-Sports/Double-Tap-Ambi-Safety

I have DTs in two pistols, they seem good for the money. Both are pretty low round count so I can't speak to long term durability. Easy to fit and install, paddles are plenty big. Expect to shape them for knuckle clearance like most big ambi safeties.

Edited by Cam73

On 3/31/2023 at 8:04 AM, Jhorizon1 said:

Double tap looks promising, but I haven’t tried them. Looks similar to the Phoenix trinity I prefer (out of stock).

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Browse-by-Manufacturer/Double-Tap-Sports/Double-Tap-Ambi-Safety

I just put a set of those on one of my open guns and very happy with them. Took a bit of fitting but not terrible either. I would buy another set and not even think twice if I needed them at this point.

14 hours ago, Cam73 said:

I'm in the middle of blending a pistol with the same safeties and couldn't agree with you more. Had the same sponginess until the detent area was cleaned up. Although the price is attractive, for the time spent fitting and blending I'd rather pay double or more for better part.

I have DTs in two pistols, they seem good for the money. Both are pretty low round count so I can't speak to long term durability. Easy to fit and install, paddles are plenty big. Expect to shape them for knuckle clearance like most big ambi safeties.

Knuckle clearance on the support side or strong side?