Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can’t find any S&W ammo or brass. Acquired a German, 32 S&W, Burgo revolver (import banned by 1968 Gun Control Act). 

Is it feasible to trim 32 S&W long cases to reload, light loads,  for the 32 S&W Burgo? 

37 minutes ago, SC Bob said:

Can’t find any S&W ammo or brass. Acquired a German, 32 S&W, Burgo revolver (import banned by 1968 Gun Control Act). 

Is it feasible to trim 32 S&W long cases to reload, light loads,  for the 32 S&W Burgo? 

Check with Starline Brass. 

Don’t have a picture. A friends firearm trying to help with some ammo . Will get a picture next week and examine morecarefully. Original noc said. “ 32 S&W (no long)

and examine in detail next week.  Trying to help a friend whose uncle’s family gave it to her after his death. She is retired LEO so the family thought that would be a safe way to dispose of it. I looked at it, briefly, and was interested in it’s history and vintage. Quality wise, it looked like a modern S&W air weight. Original box and frames said, “32 S&W”. 

11 hours ago, SC Bob said:

Most interested in if I can trim down 32 long cases for the 32 short.

I'll say, "Yes, you can."  

But I'm not sure why one would want to do so when you can purchase .32 S&W brass from Starline!  (Well, currently out of stock, but you can purchase when Starline makes its next production run.)  

32 S&W (SHORT) Brass - Small Pistol - Brass Cases (starlinebrass.com)

Edited by varminter22

14 hours ago, SC Bob said:

Most interested in if I can trim down 32 long cases for the 32 short.

Try it and see. 
I suspect you will run into the same issues folks trying this with 38 special,, or why we dont load bowling pin licoln log loads in 357 cases.
The brass gets thicker as you go down, trim to much and when you seat the bullet you get brass bulge.
I am more wondering how you plan on getting 120 pf out of a 32 short case. 

Is the barrel stamped(should be left side) .32 S&W or .32 S&W long? Also if you are considering cutting down brass, .32acp is dimensionally close to .32S&W(short) is semi-rimed, and both cartridges headspace on the rim.  Proceed with caution as .32acp is higher pressure than .32 S&W(short)!

Thanks for the info. I did not examine the revolver for long. I will have access to it, next week. The pristine original box said, “32 S&W”. I have looked at my old Lee Manual and noticed that the 32 acp has very close specs. I have a 32 Seecamp and have some spent cases and dies. Also have a box of 32 S&W long. Any loads I use would be minimum 32 S&W loads. 

On 3/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, Joe4d said:

Try it and see. 
I suspect you will run into the same issues folks trying this with 38 special,, or why we dont load bowling pin licoln log loads in 357 cases.
The brass gets thicker as you go down, trim to much and when you seat the bullet you get brass bulge.
I am more wondering how you plan on getting 120 pf out of a 32 short case. 

Not concerned with making Power Factor. Just trying to help a friend with a firearm acquired from the family of a deceased uncle. No family member even knew he had a revolver. The post War German import, is pristine along with the original box. Just thought it would be interesting to run a few light loads through it. 

Appreciate the information. Thinking I don’t have the experience or equipment to be safely trimming S&W long or 32 ACP cases.

9 hours ago, SC Bob said:

Not concerned with making Power Factor. Just trying to help a friend with a firearm acquired from the family of a deceased uncle. No family member even knew he had a revolver. The post War German import, is pristine along with the original box. Just thought it would be interesting to run a few light loads through it. 

Appreciate the information. Thinking I don’t have the experience or equipment to be safely trimming S&W long or 32 ACP cases.

check out ammoseek, and local shows or old gun shops, might find a couple boxes of ammo.  Or place a back order with starline,, might take awhile but will show up eventually.
I brought up power factor as you posted this under he ICORE rules forumn,, and we just had discussions about a 10 shot 32 arms race in the game.