Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pelican Pistol case layout

Squirrel45

Hi guys  

Not sure where to post this but iv got a pelican 1535 pistol case my wife bought me for Christmas. I haven't removed any foam yet. I was wondering how do you position the pistols laying down or vertical in the case?

Thanks 

Here are a few of my cases that I cut myself from a small to a large case… they’re not Pelicans but the Seahorse case is very comparable to your Pelican 1535… I replaced all the pluck foam that the cases originally came with and found a closed cell foam that worked so much better. 

461C11AE-9D7B-4A75-99CC-82F6B9AB12C1.jpeg

17CCF118-9DD1-4EF4-83C4-3CDCD2758DE3.jpeg

B1478B2F-C76F-46B9-97DD-FCE8EA6A75F7.jpeg

I ended up pulling out my foam as well, and keep the guns in pistol rugs inside my pelican case. I can fit more in it that way. I like the cutouts shown, where the guns are NOT pointing in every direction when the case is opened. 

23 hours ago, Leezway said:

Here are a few of my cases that I cut myself from a small to a large case… they’re not Pelicans but the Seahorse case is very comparable to your Pelican 1535… I replaced all the pluck foam that the cases originally came with and found a closed cell foam that worked so much better. 

461C11AE-9D7B-4A75-99CC-82F6B9AB12C1.jpeg

17CCF118-9DD1-4EF4-83C4-3CDCD2758DE3.jpeg

B1478B2F-C76F-46B9-97DD-FCE8EA6A75F7.jpeg

Leezway, 

how did you cut the foam?

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

Leezway, 

how did you cut the foam?

Actually used those cheap breakaway razor knifes. The cheap plastic ones you see on the counter at harbor freight…. I tried all sorts of cutters like knifes, saws, hot wire foam cutter etc… always went back to the break away razors.. I used the thin 1/2” & thick 3/4” blades and plunge cut the holes/openings, only issue is they don’t last long… change blade after maybe 3-4 holes…. 

• 1 month later...

I tried to carry several pistols, standing up in a Pelican case. The issue is when I went to optics, the pistols were too tall to allow the lid to close.

I now make my own foam inserts for my cases. Case specific, as well as "cut to size" foam and the "must have" thin marker are available from https://kaizeninserts.com

I made a two shelf range case (first and second pic), as well as individual cases for each pistol. My Bul Armory open pistol case with 100 rounds of ammo, desiccant, loader, holster, cooling air blower and extra mags is pictured.

With a piece of scrap plywood, some 1x2 lumber and a foam cutting heater wire from Amazon, I made a hot wire jig fixture to cut the foam after I trace the outline onto the foam. It is custom and I can fit everything that I need as a range case. It's fun and you get exactly what you want!

IMG_5148sm.jpg

IMG_5150_sm.jpg

IMG_7088_sm.jpg.72f95e84ce37257db31cb9b55827fd63.jpg

Edited by NorthwestGuy