Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumbs forward Revo grip

Makicjf

After being kicked by a horse in my left thumb a few years ago, I've really struggled to shoot Revo more than a month or so at a time. I use(d) a thumb over thumb grip, but the pain when I exerted down force with my left thumb would get unbearable pretty quickly. If pack up and fiddle with other semi autos til the pain upon gripping would abate, then repeat they cycle  .

I can fire Glocks, 1911's and 2011's up to full bore 45 super or 10mm without any thumb  pain, shooting thumbs forward.

I realized I need to either commit to semi auto's and let my revo's goals go solve my grip problem... So I tried thumbs forward, didn't blow the end of my thumb off and discovered the Revo tracks way better, straight up, straight down from the aim point with thumbs forward . I could detect 0 dot osscilation through the trigger stroke. Prior I couldn't grip hard enough to keep the dot "still".

Any advice on building  a thumb forward grip from the holster, or from a strong had, fore finger ejection reload?

I've got a lot of ground to make up!

Thanks!

Jason

Edited by Makicjf
Edit

I was taught to shoot revolvers by craig buckland, he won an irc in classic and a couple if idpa world championships.   He shoot thumbs forward.   Olhasso, lentz, mcginty all shoot thumb forward, as does miculek when he shoots the fat xframe grip.

The short answer is, if it seems to be working dont overthink it.

I dont have any particular pointers, i just grab it mostly the same way, support hand wraps(like a c clamp, tips anchor, roll in for pressure rather than squeezing if that makes sense).

I eject with thumb, as much as possible i am basically copying jerry.

I see a few guys doing the pointer finger eject, notably mike, but mike, and rich, both have an unconventional/graufel style grip, it puts his hand in an optimal position to do a pointer finger eject and his support hand moves very little during the whole process, he is doing what is probably close to the absolute optimal reload in terms of least amount of movement to make it all happen.

Edited by testosterone

17 minutes ago, testosterone said:

I was taught to shoot revolvers by craig buckland, he won an irc in classic and a couple if idpa world championships.   He shoot thumbs forward.   Olhasso, lentz, mcginty all shoot thumb forward, as does miculek when he shoots the fat xframe grip.

The short answer is, if it seems to be working dont overthink it.

I dont have any particular pointers, i just grab it mostly the same way, support hand wraps(like a c clamp, tips anchor, roll in for pressure rather than squeezing if that makes sense).

I eject with thumb, as much as possible i am basically copying jerry.

I see a few guys doing the pointer finger eject, notably mike, but mike, and rich, both have an unconventional/graufel style grip, it puts his hand in an optimal position to do a pointer finger eject and his support hand moves very little during the whole process, he is doing what is probably close to the absolute optimal reload in terms of least amount of movement to make it all happen.

I have x frames on everything, so I'm in good company in that regard.

The "concept" I'm struggling with, which I haven't even tried yet, is how to break grip, open the cylinder and eject at speed. 

I literally snuck away at lunch and rolled through 150 rounds at an indoor range.  No "reload!"reloading ...

Hopefully once I do reload drills, it will just happen.   

Your roll forward thinking is simpler than how I've thought of it.  I'd try to think  increase pinky pressure.  

Thanks!

Jason

Dry fire repetition to set muscle memory.  Should be easy if you do that with semi autos.

Before revolver division i used a version of thumb forward, helped by the thumb safety of 1911/2011's, and it just felt natural with a revolver.  Though I don't deliberately torque my wrist down, which means my thumb is back a bit.

Experimenting with different grips might help.  An unmodified big butt tends to force my thumb back too far.  So I whittled it down to torque my grip.  Now it allows my weak pinkie to wrap under my strong pinkie and wedge into the grip.

Jm grips also allow my pinkies to do that.  All then push my thumb more forward.

16 hours ago, Makicjf said:

I have x frames on everything, so I'm in good company in that regard.

The "concept" I'm struggling with, which I haven't even tried yet, is how to break grip, open the cylinder and eject at speed. 

I literally snuck away at lunch and rolled through 150 rounds at an indoor range.  No "reload!"reloading ...

Hopefully once I do reload drills, it will just happen.   

Your roll forward thinking is simpler than how I've thought of it.  I'd try to think  increase pinky pressure.  

Thanks!

Jason

Jason:

Just do the reload.  You will sort anything out.   

I would think a guy would need to have a gigantic pair of mitts for his thumb to extend past the cylinder on an N frame.  Never really thought of it much but I bet most guys here, including me, use a thumb forward grip.  

I recall in HP guys talking about pinky pressure on the grips of the AR-15.  Most said you "must" have the little finger of the non firing hand sticking out off the grip or some sort of worm hole would open up and consume you.  Stupid in one way but smart in another.  Stupid because where the little finger is when shooting is totally irrelevant and smart because it distracted the shooter which normally resulted in a really good trigger pull. 

GG

7 hours ago, MWP said:

I’m pretty sure Rich uses a super aggressive thumbs forward grip doesn’t he? 

His thumbs point off into space I think, what he is doing looks on the surface like he shouldn't even be able to hold have a significant grip on the thing lol

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

Jason:

Just do the reload.  You will sort anything out.   

I would think a guy would need to have a gigantic pair of mitts for his thumb to extend past the cylinder on an N frame.  Never really thought of it much but I bet most guys here, including me, use a thumb forward grip.  

I recall in HP guys talking about pinky pressure on the grips of the AR-15.  Most said you "must" have the little finger of the non firing hand sticking out off the grip or some sort of worm hole would open up and consume you.  Stupid in one way but smart in another.  Stupid because where the little finger is when shooting is totally irrelevant and smart because it distracted the shooter which normally resulted in a really good trigger pull. 

GG

Reloads were ok.   I set a pretty slow par time.  If I didn't think about it, everything was fine.  If I did, well,  not so much.  The thing I'll need to drill the most is building a grip from the holster.  That will just be reps.  I will say my dot movement has been observationally  eliminated with nearly zero effort.   The thumbs forward eliminates the gap I had between my support hand and the grip.  The clockwise circle I'd see is gone.  Plus, I can grip as hard as I want without nails being driven through my left hand thumb joint.

I'll do my normal practice this week, but I'm shooting USPSA Open ( 8 shot dot) Sunday .  I'm betting the mind eraser (timer) will take my focus away from what is  new and just let it happen.

I'm very surprised so far at how such a small change appears to have such huge benefits; better still,  I can focus on revo for more than a few weeks at a time!

Jason

3 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

Reloads were ok.   I set a pretty slow par time.  If I didn't think about it, everything was fine.  If I did, well,  not so much.  The thing I'll need to drill the most is building a grip from the holster.  That will just be reps.  I will say my dot movement has been observationally  eliminated with nearly zero effort.   The thumbs forward eliminates the gap I had between my support hand and the grip.  The clockwise circle I'd see is gone.  Plus, I can grip as hard as I want without nails being driven through my left hand thumb joint.

I'll do my normal practice this week, but I'm shooting USPSA Open ( 8 shot dot) Sunday .  I'm betting the mind eraser (timer) will take my focus away from what is  new and just let it happen.

I'm very surprised so far at how such a small change appears to have such huge benefits; better still,  I can focus on revo for more than a few weeks at a time!

Jason

Jason:

Eliminating the movement is pretty impressive if you ask me.  That to me would be a major good thing.  

I take it you have tried different topical stuff on the thumb joint?   

GG

44 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

Jason:

Eliminating the movement is pretty impressive if you ask me.  That to me would be a major good thing.  

I take it you have tried different topical stuff on the thumb joint?   

GG

I don't take any meds or use any topical.  I lost my right kidney in 2018 to renal cell carcinoma due to exposure to trichloroethylene vapor.  I'll gladly deal with ouchies to protect my remaining kidney.

I'll occasionally take 2 Tylenol, but nothing else.

I have a Dr's appointment this month, he may have some ideas. I'm still mistrustful of any meds: so many long term issues crop up later!

Jason

2 hours ago, testosterone said:

His thumbs point off into space I think, what he is doing looks on the surface like he shouldn't even be able to hold have a significant grip on the thing lol

Like a lot of us, I shoot thumbs forward, and in trigger control at speed dry fire, I find I have the cleanest trigger pull when my thumbs don't put any significant force on the frame—either barely resting on it, or fully clear of it and parallel to it.

3 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Like a lot of us, I shoot thumbs forward, and in trigger control at speed dry fire, I find I have the cleanest trigger pull when my thumbs don't put any significant force on the frame—either barely resting on it, or fully clear of it and parallel to it.

i get it, im not suggesting that thumbs are doing anything in particular for creating support, my thumbs are just sort of there, i don't actively do anything..point them out or put pressure into gun with them...

3 hours ago, Makicjf said:

I don't take any meds or use any topical.  I lost my right kidney in 2018 to renal cell carcinoma due to exposure to trichloroethylene vapor.  I'll gladly deal with ouchies to protect my remaining kidney.

I'll occasionally take 2 Tylenol, but nothing else.

I have a Dr's appointment this month, he may have some ideas. I'm still mistrustful of any meds: so many long term issues crop up later!

Jason

Tough break.  I too have had my dealings with various cancers and have had organs removed.  Not a kidney though.  

Somehow I doubt over the counter analgesics will do any damage unless you eat them.  I use the topicals when I need to which isn't very much but they do work to temporarily relieve the pain.  

Hope you don't have to get hand surgery.  That will ruin your year.

GG

Edited by gargoil66

Take a few grams of MSM per day, I've been taking 6grams a day for a few years now and have not been to the chiropractor in years.  I used to go all the time due to lifting weights.  MSM is a sulfur donor and 10000% safe.  Plus has other benefits.

https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-OptiMSM-Non-GMO-Support/dp/B000NRXNRC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1TNTEZ6XUAMM0&keywords=msm&qid=1678818334&sprefix=msm%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-5

19 hours ago, testosterone said:

damn :(

sorry to hear.

I worked at a place in my early 20's that dismantled and decontaminated pcb's from electrical transformers using deep pit metal degreasing via TCE.  It was 4/12's 3 days off; 3/12's 4 days off.  It was a perfect time frame.  I could build a shoeing business while working full time. I worked there less than a year, but it was long enough. 

I did some digging, and several papers report if you are Caucasian and perform tce deep pit metal degreasing you have a 98% probability of developing kidney cancer. 

Interestingly enough, a horse exploding and whacking me in the ribs resulted in finding the tumor when it was "only" 4.8 cm .  The horse saved my life.  

I may have some wear and tear from my job, but it saved my life. I'm the luckiest guy you'll meet!

Jason