Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wacha Thimk (of this finish)?

Dranoel

Been experimenting with some different finishes for my pistols. One idea I've had rattling around in my head for a while is to do a combination Bluing or Parkerizing the slide and frame, polishing off the flats and doing a color case hardening treatment only on the flats.  Lot of people told me it couldn't be done. That only gets me more determined. 

As it ended up, I didn't do the bluing or park.  I've been working on a Damascus pistol and planned from the start to acid/coffee etch the slide. That got me wondering what would happen if I etched plain carbon steel. Well, there wouldn't be any pattern or contrasts but it should turn it dark grey to black. And that might work better with the CCH treatment. How I did the CCH I'm gonna hold as Top Secret for now. But let me just say.....  giphy.gif

DSCN1616.JPG

On 3/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

I like that look alot. Is it as durable and rust resistant as bluing?

1 hour ago, MHicks said:

Is that actual case hardening or a chemical cosmetic treatment?

It's a chemical patina, but it is not just a surface treatment. Not paint, coated, skinned or hydro-dipped. The color is in the metal itself.

As for durability, I honestly don't know.  This is all experimental, I do have a couple junk slides that I did variations of this on and and have been rubbing them on soft denim. I would say it's more durable that cold blue, maybe as good as hot blue, definitely better than the cera-kote I had done on another pistol. Should be as rust resistant as bluing when regular maint and oiling.

I like it, black flames in smoke. The randomness is cooler than the Damascus frame IMO. Great job, extra points for coming up with ANYTHING NEW ON YOUR OWN. Props bud! Seriously looks great. I suppose u could clear duracoat or something if it's not protective enuf. Always a way. 

Edited by cfw1911

11 hours ago, cfw1911 said:

I like it, black flames in smoke. The randomness is cooler than the Damascus frame IMO. Great job, extra points for coming up with ANYTHING NEW ON YOUR OWN. Props bud! Seriously looks great. I suppose u could clear duracoat or something if it's not protective enuf. Always a way. 

Actually, as a precaution, today I disassembled everything, coated the frame, slide, MSH, grip safety, thumb safety, slide stop and mag catch with linseed oil and baked the all at 250*. That should allow the oil to soak deep into the pores and give it some rust protection.  Also did some tests on a junk slide that I tested CCH finish on. Did a lot of rubbing with steel wool and 2500 emery and it held up. So I'd say the patina is at least as deep as bluing.