Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quality punch kit

vinceislander

I'm looking for recommendations on high quality punch kits to be used for upgrading parts. 99% of my guns are both polymer and metal CZs.  After upgrading the trigger on a CZ P-10 and bending a roll pin punch from Amazon in the process, I'm ready to buy a kit that will last. Wheeler and Grace USA are on my list.

Any input is appreciated.

I would not use Wheeler for anything.  For regular punches, Starrett's are great.  For high quality roll pin punches go to McMaster Carr.  You should also buy your magnetic bit inserts from them, as well as any screws you need.  Everything they sell is high quality and better than anything Wheeler sells.  Grace USA does make nice stuff.

5 hours ago, vinceislander said:

I'm looking for recommendations on high quality punch kits to be used for upgrading parts. 99% of my guns are both polymer and metal CZs.  After upgrading the trigger on a CZ P-10 and bending a roll pin punch from Amazon in the process, I'm ready to buy a kit that will last. Wheeler and Grace USA are on my list.

Any input is appreciated.

@vinceislander

Bought the Grace USA roll pin punch set in 2015, and it has served me well!

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-USA-Gunsmithing-Gunsmith-Accessories/dp/B007WADKN0

As @zzt mentioned, the Starrett punch sets are excellent quality:

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Pin-Punch-S565WB-Pieces/dp/B09NMVVT86?th=1

HTHs!

Snap on : ). If you’re not using them much though don’t spend that much. A punch isn’t anything special snap on is just a no hassle warranty and there steel seems to be a bit stronger before bending in my experience. 

I use the Squirrel daddy ones from Amazon they work great and cost about $7 for the roll pin punches, I also use the KAK Walts tool for the bolt catch it's another great tool. For punches I usually just use the ones they sell at any building supply store, If I break one I just buy another.

I've also used Lyman stuff ecently.  The SD roll-pin starters so far look like a great value.

On 2/26/2023 at 5:29 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

I use two sets ... a cheap one from Harbor Freight and a high quality Starrett set.  It's good to have a cheap set around for drifting sights and other heavy duty work.

I did the same thing.  The Harbor Freight’s ones have held up quite well.