Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colorado magazine restriction changing

In Colorado we give out safety cards to new shooters who have attended a pre-match safety course. But it’s only really kept until you receive your USPSA classification card. 

I’d be shocked if what you’re saying is true, and when you say “local” are you talking about a specific municipality?

also…. No one in Colorado cares what mag capacity you have, LEO has bigger fish to fry and where I am in CO Springs they have essentially said they’ll spend no time enforcing mag limits 

2 minutes ago, nitrohuck said:

In Colorado we give out safety cards to new shooters who have attended a pre-match safety course. But it’s only really kept until you receive your USPSA classification card. 

I’d be shocked if what you’re saying is true, and when you say “local” are you talking about a specific municipality?

also…. No one in Colorado cares what mag capacity you have, LEO has bigger fish to fry and where I am in CO Springs they have essentially said they’ll spend no time enforcing mag limits 

I'm as skeptical as you are (as I'm currently headed to a store to purchase 17 round magazines). 

if this did end up being true Uspsa is about to get a lot more popular in Colorado 😂

Edited by ColoradoNick

Just now, ColoradoNick said:

I'm as skeptical as you are (as I'm currently headed to a store to purchase 17 round magazines). 

lol yep, gun stores blatantly ignore the mag rule and face zero legal action. 

maybe it’s different in Boulder or Denver since they have city-wide gun laws that are more strict.

But how weird would that rule be… a new shooter w a safety card (or maybe just a USPSA shooter w classification card) can skirt the 15rd rule, but what about military, civilian instructors, 3 gun shooters, etc 

There was an attempt to do this last year, it did not get out of committee. I think USPSA was counting on it getting passed, and that ultimately led to the Cameo fiasco.

I think there re some cases trying to get into the Supreme Court, and I suspect thats where this stuff will ultimately end up getting decided.

1 hour ago, nitrohuck said:

Be cautious about taking this advice; Many county Sheriffs are on record stating that they won't enforce these laws. The State Government however has a different perspective. People have been prosecuted under these laws, though typically as secondary offenses.

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

Be cautious about taking this advice; Many county Sheriffs are on record stating that they won't enforce these laws. The State Government however has a different perspective. People have been prosecuted under these laws, though typically as secondary offenses.

my personal stance is to adhere to the mag limit in any carry gun unless you've owned it prior to 2013.  👍 😊

Edited by ColoradoNick

Yeah, don't take anything I say as advice. 

Personally, all of my mags are pre-ban anyway, and that is truly the crux of why law enforcement is at odds with the law. How can they prove a magazine was pre-ban or not? Essentially you can't, unless perhaps that gun/magazine combo was produced post-ban. 

55 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

People have been prosecuted under these laws, though typically as secondary offenses.

This is the only example of these laws being enforced.  To be honest being written by people who have zero idea what they are talking about it is a poorly written law.  Shops here use to dis-assembly the mages and sell them as mag repair kits.  Most do not even take the time to disassemble them anymore.  There is nothing in the law to maintain your current mags to my knowledge.  What does that allow people to do to skirt the law?  The law is essential an add on charge that is usually dropped in the plea bargaining phase of the process to my understanding.  

What is crazy to me is every gun law penalizes law abiding citizens.  Mag laws should be written is you commit crimes with magazines of a certain capacity there are large minimum sentencing requirements.   This penalizes the criminals and not the law abiding.

As far as any legislation goes, the are now aiming at a bill called "Colorado Mass Shooting Prevention Bill" will essential align Colorado gun laws with California with the exception of the ammo fiasco California has implemented.  For One I am tired of politics and politicians in general.  They will never pass a law to allow people to own and use "Large" capacity magazines here.  I love Colorado, its too bad a few Cities are able to dominate the politics and agenda in Colorado.  The majority of the state is conservative but we are at the will of the liberals in Denver essentially.  

A new state might be in my near future unfortunately.  That's too bad because the front range here in Colorado possibly has one of the best environments for competitive shooting.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

my personal stance and what I would advice to anyone else is to adhere to the mag limit in any carry gun.

This is a must.  If anyone carrying were to get in a self defensive shooting that results in the death of the perp, it would become a story of how the defensive shooter had too many bullets in the mag.  Not how they were defending themselves from thugs.