Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it even worth getting into reloading 9mm minor right now?

ColoradoNick

I am wrestling with this decision right now myself.  Settled into the Nashville area now and reading to start shooting again. I see primer costs are slowly coming back down a bit, especially if you can catch a good sale.  I kept enough brass to last quite a while and still have some powder.  The cost of buying Blazer is fairly low and if you pick up the brass and sell it the cost is quite nice. But I liked tuning in a load that suited my preferences and the guns.  There is sort of a Zen feeling while reloading once everything is dialed in.  I am retired now so since I bill out at $0 per hour the cost is much lower.  I am just deciding which reloader to go with now since I sold my previous one before moving.  

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only way it makes sense to reload 9 is if you are using old components, or components you bought when they were cheap, and load when the ammo is expensive.. If you are buying components at the same time you want the ammo just about never worth the time to load 9mm

I'm reloading for $0.14/round, with it expected to bump to $0.16/round when I have to transition to newer primers. The saving is small, but there also is the advantage of having the ability to make ammunition, if there is any kind of shortage.

53 minutes ago, PaleoMan said:

I'm reloading for $0.14/round, with it expected to bump to $0.16/round when I have to transition to newer primers. The saving is small, but there also is the advantage of having the ability to make ammunition, if there is any kind of shortage.

that used to work, but these days its more likely you cant find primers and powder than loaded 9mm

Even though you can buy 9mm reasonably priced now it still might be smart to be set up to be able to load it in case  we go through another cycle of unavailability and high prices as we did a few years ago. But buy components now when you see a deal. Don't wait for the crisis.  

If you will just virtually stop shooting during the high price/shortages I guess it doesn't matter. But if you intend to continue shooting, be prepared.