Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BDS Carnivore Competition Holster

tt350z

Saw these awhile ago and it looked pretty interesting. There’s basically no info on them and I needed a holster for my Shadow 2 anyway so I figured I’d try it out. Only available for Glock, P320, and Shadow 2. No idea if they’d consider making others.

Super nice being able to completely lock the pistol, have it hot dog in a hallway loose or your traditional friction retention all in one holster. They dont say how it’s made. But from looking at it, it looks to be laser sintering printed. I’m guessing nylon 12 from what I was able to find as well. The result is a very very stiff holster body, have a very tight fit so it doesn’t flop around, and have zero drag on the pistol. At least with the Shadow 2 model I have.

Couple quick videos

Edited by tt350z

Hard to say without tape/ruler/overlay card in there: still within rules from the belt?

I've same hanger, same belt, and same gun and mine seem a bit closer to the belt - and barely within the allowed distance. 

I saw this on the humble marksmans podcast and I have since been trying to get a hold of big dog steel via email and facebook message. No reply. 🤷‍♂️

I had a few questions about the P320 variant, but this thread has been helpful. Looks like there may be enough clearance to run a Tevo thumb rest for the p320.

Did you not want to try their hanger?

Also, in terms of measurement, (you still look fine anyway) Rule 5.2.5 states:

"Where a Division specifies a maximum distance that a competitor's handgun
and equipment may extend away from a competitor'sbelt, the measurement
shall be taken in the following manner:
— Perpendicular to the top of the belt at the point of attachment to the belt
— From the inner most surface of the belt (against the pants/body) to the
closest point of the grip of the handgun and/or any reloading device
— Measurements may be made with an official USPSA overlay, using either
the width or length of the overlay as appropriate to the Division
requirement."

I have always wondered how this rule was supposed to be applied since people run the henning hangers with the hanger forward of the hip and the grips toed back towards the belt. But if you measured from the point of attachment, it would be too far...but the grip is within limits.

Anyone smarter than me care to share? Or anyone that has shot majors like this example below?

henning.jpg

^ thanks for that measurement reference.

So for my point of attachment to the belt the millimeter side of the tape measure in my pic is almost right there. I’d probably have to adjust the camber in or grind the holsters mounting surface just a tad.

The mounting surface is pretty thick, like twice as thick as the body of the holster. Should be able to shave it down 1/8” with no issues considering just how stiff the holster body already is

I already had the Henning hanger so I didn’t opt for their hanger. If I needed a hanger, theirs looks pretty neat with the tool less adjustment and detachment.

Edited by tt350z

9 hours ago, tt350z said:

^ thanks for that measurement reference.

So for my point of attachment to the belt the millimeter side of the tape measure in my pic is almost right there. I’d probably have to adjust the camber in or grind the holsters mounting surface just a tad.

The mounting surface is pretty thick, like twice as thick as the body of the holster. Should be able to shave it down 1/8” with no issues considering just how stiff the holster body already is

I already had the Henning hanger so I didn’t opt for their hanger. If I needed a hanger, theirs looks pretty neat with the tool less adjustment and detachment.

You are welcome.

I would think if you follow the perpendicular part to the hanger attachment, the picture i showed would still be in compliance because the overlay would be touching on the corner.

But I could be wrong.

The guy finally got back to me on FB. Waiting for him to answer a few more questions.

I might purchase one to mess with. The henning hanger is def awesome. I need to try one as well.

22 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Anyone smarter than me care to share? Or anyone that has shot majors like this example below?

I think that Henning's allow for the most adjustment and too new to have much feedback in a sense of rules compliance.

My only other comment here is that I personally measure with the gear on the body. Body is not linear and belts conform to it. Even with flat plates of Lynx belts I always get smaller margins when I measure on body vs off. 

6 hours ago, YVK said:

I think that Henning's allow for the most adjustment and too new to have much feedback in a sense of rules compliance.

My only other comment here is that I personally measure with the gear on the body. Body is not linear and belts conform to it. Even with flat plates of Lynx belts I always get smaller margins when I measure on body vs off. 

well i mean i know a bunch of people run them now at nationals..no issue. so i guess its ok 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

well i mean i know a bunch of people run them now at nationals..no issue. so i guess its ok 🤷‍♂️

JJ ran a gun at one Nationals and it was OK, and then the same gun at the next Nationals got him bumped into Open. Scrutiny of inspection varies even at major matches. 

2 hours ago, YVK said:

JJ ran a gun at one Nationals and it was OK, and then the same gun at the next Nationals got him bumped into Open. Scrutiny of inspection varies even at major matches. 

True...

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tt350z said:

Plenty of space for the Tevo sport thumb lock. No modifications needed.

NZwxjnI.jpg

Wonder about the P320 variant. Id imagine it would work....but it is extended from the takedown lever...id image there is clearance.

I asked BDS for some pics of the inside of the p320 holster but he never responded.

Edited by mrvip27

31 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

Wonder about the P320 variant. Id imagine it would work....but it is extended from the takedown lever...id image there is clearance.

I asked BDS for some pics of the inside of the p320 holster but he never responded.

If the 320 variant is anything like the S2, it’d be easy to dremel some material to make room for the extended thumbrest. There’s like 1/4” thick material between the holster and the hanger mount so it wouldn’t effect the mounting at all.

It’s a shame they haven’t responded. The product is excellent, but their marketing is lackluster.

I have the Tevo rest for both the P320 and the Shadow 2. They're pretty similar in terms of "holster" modification, but yeah, the extension from the takedown lever adds a little bit of width. I got in contact with KT-mech and they made a custom holster for me that should be getting in later this week. Here's some pics of the P320 rest:

image.png.9bb9fcf416ff0f626396fd7494b804c8.png

image.png.c1450359947e13b04bb1fb9582d1fe2c.png

50 minutes ago, tt350z said:

Here’s how much material is on the mount location. Plenty of room the dremel away and not affect the mounting surface.

f2zuFEv.jpg

definitely looks like we could make it work. may have to buy one to test out.

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

This thing does the same thing, and draws as easily, with as much or more adjustabiity for 70 bucks less

20230210_164058.jpg

20230210_163916.jpg

Already using the superior Henning hanger. No way would I go to that flimsy Ghost hanger. I only see caster, toe, and height adjustment. Where’s the camber adjustment? I’ve used a Ghost holster before for a 2011. The ball detent on the Ghost has more tension than this.

• 1 year later...

I have the BDS for the 320

No problem with the *thumb rest [generic]* or align tactical, the Odin looks it would need to some holster mods

I tried uploading some pics but I guess I'll have to use a file converter