Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion wanted on buying another CZ

ColoradoNick

I shot my first bowling pin match and had a ton of fun. Won a few rounds before getting knocked out. I used my CZ PO1 omega with stock sights which didn't seem optimal. The long pull of the initial DA crushed me, guaranteed misses 🤣. Using 9mm didn't seem as big of an issue as some people made it out to be though. I just need to practice the initial DA a lot more.

I have a shadow 2 setup for CO but would like to continue to shoot bowling pin matches and they require irons. initially I thought I would buy another shadow 2 and set it up with irons. Same holster, shared mags, etc. seems cost effective. Thinking more about it does it make more sense to buy something in .40? A little more knock down for the pin matches and if I wanted to shoot Limited I'd be more competitive. I think there's a good chance I'll shoot CO and Limited in the future. I'm an "all in kinda guy" but I am new to this. 

If .40 is the answer is there anything that shares mags/holster with a shadow 2? 

A Shadow 2 is too heavy for IDPA.  A Shadow 2 with iron sights would allow you to shoot Production, Limited (minor), and Limited 10 (minor).  The Tactical Sport is available in .40 S&W, but wouldn't share any accessories with your current CZ firearms.  The Tactical Sport is also too heavy for IDPA.

Have shot a TSO .40 in a lot of bowling pin matches and I’ve compared it a decent amount with my 9mm. I think you’ll notice a significant gain in performance if bowling pin matches is your main goal. The extra knockdown power is very helpful in close matches

15 hours ago, Pmatte1 said:

Have shot a TSO .40 in a lot of bowling pin matches and I’ve compared it a decent amount with my 9mm. I think you’ll notice a significant gain in performance if bowling pin matches is your main goal. The extra knockdown power is very helpful in close matches

Thanks. Looking at my schedule it looks like I'll be able to make significantly more bowling pin shoots compared to USPSA matches where my primary focus will be CO. The new TS2 Orange has peaked my interest but finding a dealer willing to order one seems to be another story. 

I'd say mostly 9mm from what I saw and a few 45's. Everything I read talked about how poorly 9mm does on pins but that didn't seem to be the case. Every pin I hit (9mm) went off the table. I was using a P01 Omega which was fun but not ideal. If I'm going to buy a dedicated gun for it, it seems like .40 might be more ideal? Ammo is $20 more for 1k rounds than I pay for 9mm right now and it would allow me to shoot it in steel challenge as well as limited if I wanted. My bigger concern is not getting used to the DA/SA on the shadow 2 if I also have a TS2. I don't think it makes sense to get a TS2 in 9mm, but maybe a second Shadow 2 would make sense? I have about $1600 to spend and it really isn't costing me anything as I'm selling a few other guns I don't shoot. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how your S2 is set up for optics, I had CZ Custom mill the slide for mine using their RDS Plate system and got an extra Plate for it that the rear sight goes into.  That way I can take the SRO off and put the rear sight plate back on.

You could also keep your eye out for a used STI Edge in .40.  I’ve had several (still have one) and for me they were always very accurate and reliable.  Single action trigger also.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, nazzy said:

You mentioned in another thread using 147gn 139pf ammo right? I think that’s gonna be alright for bowling pins. The people downplaying 9 probably are thinking 115gn ball ammo

I ended up with a second s2o. 147 has been more than enough also. 👍 almost won the last pin match I did. 

On 2/13/2023 at 7:04 PM, rifleman777 said:

Not sure how your S2 is set up for optics, I had CZ Custom mill the slide for mine using their RDS Plate system and got an extra Plate for it that the rear sight goes into.  That way I can take the SRO off and put the rear sight plate back on.

You could also keep your eye out for a used STI Edge in .40.  I’ve had several (still have one) and for me they were always very accurate and reliable.  Single action trigger also.

This is exactly my plan unfortunately they're backed up 12 weeks. I'm going to wait until the weather is better to send it in so I won't be using it for indoor pin matches as much. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

Understood.  My experience with CZC’s lead times (and a couple other people I’ve known) is that whatever they tell you is worst case scenario and almost never that long.  I was told about the same as you and it was back several weeks quicker than that.

• 4 months later...

I know I'm late to the game, this one slipped by me.  At my club, we have divisions for optics at our pin shoots.  I use a Czechmate with 147gr FP bullets loaded to near Major level.  Absolutely no issue clearing the pins off of a 3' table. 

As for different calibers, I've used 45acp, .40 cal, 10mm, 357 magnum, 38 special, and 22lr (pin heads only).  I posted my fastest times - by a lot -  9mm in the Czechmate.  It's comp is working to keep the gun level so I can move much faster.  

Have great handloads for everything but 40, don't reload that one so I am using only factory stuff.  Most was pretty anemic and the snappy recoil didn't lead to good speeds - at least for me.  The 10mm was the same way.  45 acp to a lesser degree.  

Phil 

Old thread! I found another pin match that allows optics. Pins are set in the middle of a 30” table. My uspsa 9mm (132ish PF) ammo works great. Only issues ive had is when i had some 96pf steel challenge ammo and it would knock them over but not off the table.