Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Swage Die Cuts Inside of Brass

I get this funky ring around the inside of it (45 ACP) with my RL1100, which I never saw on my 550B. Thinking is this coming from the swage die. Is this a problem?

20-CE031-A-D852-4-B4-E-AA76-62-AC6010-D5

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Orion1

I don't bell nearly that much.  I don't load 45 on mine, but I took out my Dillon swage die on my 9mm RL1100 as it was really dragging on some of the tighter 9mm cases. I moved my FW Arms swage backer into that slot and it smoothed out my press stroke dramatically. I didn't notice any imprinting on my case interior though like yours is. I'm also going to try my FW Arms popper decapper in station 2 and sizing die (pin removed) in the swage spot and see if that gives me enough swage backing.

You can see the struggle with the Dillion backer here.

image.jpeg.2c4d7696f68af2adfc74ed1643e3f087.jpeg

Take the expander plug out and give it a couple of twists in some scotch bright to slightly smooth out the secondary step edge. Then back that out about a turn, that’s way more flair than you need. 

Edited by Farmer
Sp

I wasn't thrilled with the way my swage die expanded cases.

I chucked in a drill and turned it down so the only interaction with the case is at the base.

I rely upon a Redding expander die to do case expansion/flare.

The step on the swage backup die only needs to go about .010-.020" into the case. This still holds the case down against the upward pressure of the swage rod, and leaves a small step in the case mouth; enough to secure the bullet only.