Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip pressure / driving the gun for double taps

matteekay

I actually managed to over-caffeinate for the first time ever at a match today. I was trying to compensate for a week of next-to-no sleep with chemicals and about halfway in I was perplexed as to why my heart wouldn't stop racing, lol. I don't recommend it as a winning strategy.

11 hours ago, matteekay said:

I actually managed to over-caffeinate for the first time ever at a match today. I was trying to compensate for a week of next-to-no sleep with chemicals and about halfway in I was perplexed as to why my heart wouldn't stop racing, lol. I don't recommend it as a winning strategy.

Mat:

I can't say guzzling coffee is a good solution but caffeine is a major ingredient in every good energy bar, drink, gummie, or goo.  I have never O.D.'d on coffee.  I like it and drink it all day but stop taking it in when I don't want anymore.  Self regulate I guess.  Next time let me suggest you stick with the gummies, bars, or goo's and something like Body Armor sports drink.  

There is no compensating for a lack of sleep.  Tired men make mistakes. 

Ever watch any of those reality shows where teams of athletes are doing some sort of endurance event that lasts for days?  The teams that win have regular stops where they can doze for twenty or thirty minutes before going on.   They normally win because they end up making fewer or no mistakes than teams that are in zombie land from zero rest.  

OK -- there is a technique called "Progressive Muscle Relaxation" that has been proven to temporarily refresh people who are physically exhausted and or fatigued from lack of rest.  It works but is only a stopgap to get a person through something like your match.   PMR is more rejuvenating than say dozing off for a few minutes because it relaxes the muscles and clears the mind.  It is a technique worth knowing and worth practicing.   

I often use PMR after a long drive to a match.  Get to the match early, recline the seat in the truck, and use PMR to relax the muscles and clear the mind.  Also gives the opportunity to use imagery to prepare for the match.  

GG

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

There is no compensating for a lack of sleep.  Tired men make mistakes. 

Funny enough, probably my most consistent match of the 2022 season was Area 8, after a night of tossing and turning that saw me working on maybe two hours of sleep.

At a certain point, mistakes come from conscious attention to the wrong things, and not trusting yourself to do the basics subconsciously—fatigued as I was, I didn't have the energy to overthink anything.

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

Funny enough, probably my most consistent match of the 2022 season was Area 8, after a night of tossing and turning that saw me working on maybe two hours of sleep.

At a certain point, mistakes come from conscious attention to the wrong things, and not trusting yourself to do the basics subconsciously—fatigued as I was, I didn't have the energy to overthink anything.

FB:

Two hours is a lot better than no hours.  And the rest of the time at least you were probably in various stages of sleep, slumber, consciousness.

Can't remember how many hours of sleep are needed by most people for mental and physical recovery.  REM sleep etc can be a lot different between people.   I think the number is three hours of uninterrupted sleep minimum.  

Yes, paying attention to the wrong things is a good way of saying it.  The problem is that when excessively tired, it is hard to pay attention to anything for long.

GG

4 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

That's me before every major, lol. 

I'm pretty much always dealing with being tired or caffeinated to some degree (who isn't?) but this particular match was especially bad for some reason. Still fun though; I love getting out to majors and shooting with people from around the country.

Second shot shouldn't be high, especially with a revolver - trigger speed is slower than the gun settling post recoil. It's almost certainly the grip and stance, where you let the gun remain high instead of using your wrists and your body (through stiff shoulders) to passively return the gun on target. 

What works for me is to mentally separate driving the gun from running the trigger - simply think that someone else is pulling the trigger while you're controlling the aim. Because the trigger is longer and requires much more movement than a semi-auto, it feels as if the gun is back on target and you're waiting for it to go off all by itself. Even as you operate the trigger before the gun is ready, by the time the gun fires it seems that the shot lags the aiming.